cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible corrupt packages

We recently had to restore several .msi packages from tape backup. When I attempt to run any of these packages, I get the following message:

"Windows Installer: This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

All of the packages were OK when they were on disk. All the sizes of the packages look OK. It's not like they're 30k or anything weird like that. They are the proper size for each one. Is there any sort of tool or utility that can repair these packages? Or any else anyone has heard of to try and recover these? I am unable to open them in Dev Studio either. Thanks for your help.
(6) Replies
Check if they're still read-only?

Strange one.
Nope, not Read Only and Permissions are fine.
How are you running them - through SMS or somehting else? Was the name of the location changed at all?
Also - can you crack the msi open and view it in Orca or Installshield? If that works, then it's probably a PEBKAC.
Jennifer - they are deployed through Active Directory, but they give the error messages even when trying to run them manually.

Thaiboxer - I am unable to open them in InstallShield. I guess they're just corrupt -- unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks for your replies........ by the way, what is PEBKAC?
Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

🙂

Sounds like they are corrupt. Good luck!