cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packaging Adminstudio itself....

Anyone able to help me out.

I am attempting to package up the repackager component of adminstudio and am having difficulty in trying to use the existing package.

I have admin installed the complete adminstudio to a network drive and am now trying to figure out how to install just the repackager. Is there a switch I can use on the adminstudio.msi or am I going to have to, heavens forbid, snapshot :eek:

Ta in advance,
Paul
(4) Replies
I am not even sure if it will work when installing with the administrative image of AdminStudio. Since you didn't mention the version of AdminStudio used, so what I am going to say may not be applicable. Some vesions of AdminStudio use nested installation to install Developer/DevStudio (my memory is kinda fuzzy, and I didn't verify AdminStudio 6), and administrative installation cannot contain a nested installation, as indicated in Nested Installation Actions.

If you just want to run Repackager on a machine that doesn't have AdminStudio installed, you should look into Launching Repackager Remotely in AdminStudio Help.
AdminStudio already comes with a remote Repackager. This basically takes the directory you installed AdminStudio to and uses it as a type of Admin Share point. It works fine, and if you just need to make it silent but you cant make it silent, then just repackage that setup.

C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\6.0\Repackager\Remote Repackager\setup.exe

Edit:

That setup.exe is just a bootstrap MSI that contains Remote Repackager.msi. You can use MSI properties and commandline args to automate this. You shouldn't need to repackage anything.
you can actually run the isilc.exe file from the client machine with no installation required.
Thanks for that reply ill try it, would be highly useful if I could run it off the network as the machine that it WOULD be installed on is the packaging machine and will be contasntly rebuilt and having to re-install Adminstuido on the machine every time it is rebuilt could get pretty boring pretty quick 🙂

Paul