cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package upgrade...

OK, I just got back from the "Updates and Patches" seminar, but I am still a bit unclear on how to get my package to uninstall an older version of it if one is installed.

The version number is not changeing. Can someone give me quick steps to do this? Basically, when I install a package, if I need to repackage updated versions of the files in it, I want the mew MSI to (when executed) automatically remove (sielntly) the old one, then install the new one.

The documentation I got from the class wasn't all that clear on the exact steps to do this. An "excercise" would have helped, but the class was too fast paced for that.

--Basim
(2) Replies
Open your .ism project file and navigate to "Prepare for Distribution" then "Upgrades". Here can set the options you're looking for.
To identify the current project as a major upgrade of another, right click the "Upgrade Windows Installer Setup" icon in the middle pane and choose "Add Major Upgrade Item".
Now you can enter in the code for the product you're upgrading (or use the one in your current project).
You can also set your product version behaviour below that.
Hi Basim,

You will need to create a major upgrade to uninstall another MSI package before installing yours.

If you follow the instructions from Turbokitty and add the following all should be well:

Modify the Major Upgrade Item by clicking on the advanced tab and change entry 'Include Maximum Version' to 'Yes'

Also change the Product Code under General Information -> Product Properties -> Product Code (Click Generate GUID in panel below)

Build a new release and that's it 😄

Marco