cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dlls fail to load

I'm getting an error when I run my MSI that four dlls fail to load. I tried setting them to self-register but this doesn't help.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
(5) Replies
If there is a specific order in which the 4 dlls need to be self-registered, you can use regsvr32 to register them during installatio, and unregister them during uninstallation.

Or you can follow the example in Windows Installer: Platform SDK, msi.chm, under Contents tab, Windows Installer > Installer Database > Using the Installer Database > Specifying the Order of Self Registration.
Thanks for the suggestion.
So you beliee it's a squence problem? How would I verify that's the problem? And, how would I know what order to sort them in?
Do I register them in the order that the errors pop-up?
I took a look at the link in the SDK help and it makes sense. Just the above questions remain.
Thanks again.
Registering the Dll makes sense only for COM dll's not for regular dlls. You need to be specifc as to what is the error and does the MSI actually has the right dlls in the right place.
Thanks for your input.
These are indeed COM dlls. The error I'm getting is "xxxx.dll failed to register.". I believe the options are then "Cancel/Ignore". This error comes up near the end of the install and all four boxes pop in immediate succession with the same error (different dll name of course). If I click "Ignore" the install continues and the program seems to work fine.
To find out the order to self-register the 4 DLLs, you can run regsvr32.exe on the 4 DLLs with different permutations. Or you can use Dependency Walker to identify the specific order. If you can't self-register them using regsvr32.exe, then they shouldn't be self-registered.
Top Kudoed Authors