cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition...

I currently have NAVCE 7.5 installed on a number of systems. I would like to automatically uninstall 7.5 and install 7.6 through my package. I directly edited the NAVCE 7.6 .msi and created a custom action that would do that using the product code.

The custom action looks like this:

I created a "New EXE stored in the binary table"

Executable Filename: {NewBinary2}
Command Line: /I{BD12EB47-DBDF-11D3-BEEA-00A0CC272509}
Return Processing: Syncronous (Ignores Exit Code)
In-Script Execution: Deferred Execution
Install Exec Sequence: After InstallInitialize

This doesnt work. I get several different errors.

Please advise,

Bryan
(10) Replies
Hey Bryan. Why not go directly to 8.0. I just recently finished creating a nested installation that would install the Installshield Engine (required by Nav 8.0) and that install nav 8.0. I've also tried it on a box that had 7.6 installed. It went in as an upgrade, i did not have to uninstall anything. If you need any details ...let me know.
Dynamox,

I resolved the issue in a way I didnt expect to. I took the original NAVCE installation which contains a setup.ini. In the cmdline: section I added MsiExec /I{Product Code}. That worked. It uninstalls 7.5 and installs 7.6. I never expected that to work but it did.

Thanks for the info. Have you seen any benefits in upgrading to 8.0?

Bryan
Bryan, so you took this section:

[Startup]
CmdLine=
Product=Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition
PackageName=NavCE.Msi
MsiVersion=1.10.1029.1
EnableLangDlg=N
SuppressReboot=Y

and made it
CmdLine=MsiExec /I{Product Code}. <- Is this Product code for Nav 7.6 or Nav 7.5 ??
Interesting..i thought that /i switch was for installation not uninstallation.

So now, which msi do you run? the one for 7.5 ??
Dynamox,

That was a typo! 😞

[Startup]
CmdLine=
Product=Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition
PackageName=NavCE.Msi
MsiVersion=1.10.1029.1
EnableLangDlg=N
SuppressReboot=Y

and made it

CmdLine=MsiExec /x{Product Code}. <- This is the product code for Nav 7.5!

So... the command line points to the 7.5 installation which gets uninstalled first and then 7.6 gets installed. 7.6 is our corporate standard, another :-(.

Hope that clears things up, sorry for the delay in my response to you.

Bryan
Forget this... It must have been a quirky poo. 🙂 It doesn't appear to work now. Grrrrrr. It did work before, honestly. Every now and then I get a command line options error from Windows Installer.

Bryan
Bryan, if you are going to go with Nav 8.0 ...let me know..cause i monkey around with that thing and made an nested install that uninstalls 7.6 (i assume it will uninstall 7.5 as well) and installs 8.0. I include grc.dat so it points to the right parent server.
Could I take a look at your msi, just to see how you performed the uninstall of 7.6? I'm sure I could use that to uninstall 7.5!

Thanks,

Bryan

P.S. Let me know if you need anything!
actually i did not do anything to uninstall 7.6...i simply run install for 8.0 and it detects that 7.6 is installed and simply upgrades it to 8.0.
Has anyone successfully created a transform for SACE 8.1? I get through most of the process in tuner (attempted using 3.5 & 5.02, both fail at the same location) and then nothing. It does require Install Script which I have installed on the machine that I'm building the transform on.

HELP!!!

Bryan
BCM4309,

Use Symantec config tool and then add the Installshield engine to the msi or install the engine separately. I wouldn't suggest using a transform on Symantec product unless you directly edit it so you break their logic and make it portable for your environment.
Top Kudoed Authors