cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Our company uses Installshield Pro 6.2 for standard installs.

Now we would like to progress onto remote software installations where the customer's network admin can install the software onto workstations silently without user intervention.

My requirements are: I need the network admin to fill out some network specifics: file servers, default values, etc. Install the product with these settings onto client machines.

Unfortunately, I do not work with InstallShield nor am I a network admin. I am doing some preliminary research on how this can be accomplished.

Does AdminStudio fulfill my needs? I read the product overview and I am not quite sure what I'm reading... :rolleyes:

In order for the package created by AdminStudio to be deployed over a network, is SMS required?

I also read the product overview for the newest InstallShield Pro, and the One-Click Installâ„¢ is of interest. This would not be a bad solution if the workstation users can just click for a silent install with the network specs...

Suggestions would be welcome on the right direction I should take.

TIA.
(2) Replies
I think the product you're looking for is InstallShield Developer (not Adminstudio).

Regards,

Rene
Developer will enable you to create the installation packages you need. AdminStudio includes Developer, as well as a suite of tools for managing your installation packages. AdminStudio includes tools for repackaging legacy applications and for converting packages created in other formats. It also has a tool which lets you check for conflicts between your installation package and other packages/OSs, so that you can identify potential problems and fix them before you deploy to workstations. There are a number of other tools/features in AdminStudio as well, and the 5.0 version has just been released.

I hope this helps as you evaluate which product provides the best solution for you.