cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to Install an App from one m/c to another over the network off the CD

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi there,
I would like to know if it is possible to install an Application that has Activex controls, dlls, objects from one m/c to another (off the CD) over the network, provided I have the access to the target m/c. Which InstallShield product will provide this kind of feature? Do you know any such Install s/w that does this task?
I would appreciate any replies to this post.

Thanks.
(3) Replies
VK,

Thank you for your question. If all you're looking for is a way to install from one machine to another over a network, there's a couple of ways to do this just using Windows. One way is to copy the entire CD to your local drive, then run the install from the other machine. Another way is to simply share the CD-ROM drive over the network.

Now before my boss comes over and slaps me for not recommending InstallShield products (just kidding...), you can also use the Repackager in AdminStudio, run the install on your host machine, then put the package on a shared directory for other machines to access.

Hope this helps.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
MHagen,
Thanks for your reply, I already knew that I could this kind of installation. What I am looking for is to initiate the install program on machine 'A' and install the program components onto machine 'B' (including registering dlls, controls etc on m/c 'B'). It is more of like a 'Push' install rather than 'Pull' install. This installation has to be done by sitting at m/c 'A' that is without walking to m/c 'B'.
Is this possible using any of the InstallShield products?
If not, is there a install s/w in the market that is capable of doing this kind of installation?

Thanks.
VK,

Yea, wasn't sure if you knew about those, figured I'd suggest the inexpensive solution first, but what you're talking about is easily accomplished using AdminStudio. It packages your apps and deploys them to other machines on the network. Start with this page:

http://www.installshield.com/isas/info/overview.asp

and if you have any questions please let us know.