cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installshield Professional Logging

Hi,

I'm trying to repackage an application called statistica.

I run the repackaging wizard and provide a location to the setup.

Upon launching the setup I receive a message "The setup you are launching was created with InstallShield Professional"...It is recommended that you use this method instead of repackaging.
Use Installshield professional logging instead of repackaging.

I've tried using this method but it generates an empty repackager file (*.irp) and an empty windows installer file (*.msi)

Can I actually use this method to generate an msi or is it just logging the install. What is the purpose of the *.isl and *.log files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

http://helpnet.macrovision.com/robo/projects/adminstudio55/ISRConceptRepackagingMethodsProEngine.htm

regards,
(5) Replies
Each time I attempt to apply the logging method, Repackager experiences a fatal error and I get neither .irp nor .msi. I'm using AdminStudio 10, hopefully there is a patch/service pack/work-around for this issue(?)

Any advice is appreciated.
Don't use the logging, use monitoring instead!
My experience is that it does not always work because of the programming..

Also , What is the use??

You want to repackage an application , logging is tryingto reverse engineer the original setup , this is something you don't want in most cases...

Hope this info helps.

Visit me / us @ Packaging Event on October 13. at the Amsterdam ArenA.
www.packagingevent.com
Productmanagement of Flexera will be there too!!
The biggest benefit of the logging is that it preserves the feature tree defined in the original setup. The original installscript code cannot really be preserved unless you are very clever.

Given that, I would agree that if the logging fails, to try Monitoring. Logging is not without value, however. I would recommend contacting our support team to submit this package so that our developers can improve this feature.
Even I am facing issue with the Windows Installer Logging policy (verbose) on the client that should get the MSI deployed through AD and post the relevant "error" information.
I think you should go through the policies and rules and regulating