cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installscript MSI setup.iss problems.

OK, I'm not sure there's really an appropriate forum for this, but hopefully someone can help. I'm trying to deploy a Installscript MSI (I trully wish that format had never been invented). The only way I appear to be able to install it unattended is by using a Setup.iss and passing it via the Setup.exe - on account of some very important functionality being wrapped up in those ludicrous script based dialogs...

This really isn't good enough for my purposes, as I also want to grant extra permissions to a directory, remove some shortcuts and do a few other things you can do when you've got a vendor MSI you need to customize with a transform. My problem is I appear to be unable to pass this MSI a transform and run it via setup.exe/setup.iss at the same time.

I've tried the /V option that is supposed to allow me to pass msiexec paramenters via the setup.exe (no joy).

Basically I was wondering
a.) if there is any way to pass a transform via the setup.exe to an InstallScript MSI?
b.) and this would be the ideal solution - bypass the setup.exe completely and pass the setup.iss direct to the MSI file itself?

For anyone interested; I'm trying to deploy Oracle Database 10g Express Edition.
(1) Reply
Hi There,

A long time ago, I believe there was an issue where /V didn't properly handle this when using a response file.

From a little bit of testing, at least, it looks like their setup might have a problem with the way its been authored. I'm unable to get an *.iss file to run the setup silently, correctly.

Although, for what it's worth, I can actually see the property I'm passing via /V getting passed OK:

XEUniv.exe /s /f1"c:\oracle.iss" /v"MYTESTPROP=1"

As you can see, I'm using the "Universal" release of the express 10g database.