cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing or removing features

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I use advertisment(msiexec /jm msi_package /T transform) to install packages with elevated privileges and transforms. How do I add/remove the features of a product which are already installed on a computer? For example: I have word and excel installed and I want add access with a (new) transform.
Can anybody help me?
(5) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
You can use REMOVE property of Windows Installer to specify the features that you want to be uninstalled.

The value of the REMOVE property is a list of features delimited by commas that are to be removed. The features must be present in the Feature column of the Feature table. To remove all features (for example, uninstall the entire product), use REMOVE=ALL on the command line.

Similarly to add the features you can use ADDLOCAL, ADDSOURCE or ADDDEFAULT property. Look in MSI help for more information on each property.

You can pass the property and its value through msiexec in the following way.

msiexec /i PROPERTYNAME="SOME VALUE"
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have tried this but it doesn't work as I want. I guess because the package is advertised with the transform. What I actually want is to re-advertise the package and install the packge only for the new features or deleted features in the transform without uninstalling the whole package. Remember that the users who install this have no admin permissions. That's why I use advertisment(an administrator only advertises the package).
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Tusnee

I'm having the same difficulty right now. I want three separate installs. Basic office progs (word, excell, powerpoint) and than an install to add access and one for frontpage.

I think you had the same problem, have you figured it out. If so could you help me out.

Cheers
If I understand correctly your situation, there is not any workaround that I know of.

For instance, you are using an admin install of Office XP professional. Let's say I have 4 seperate templates:

1- installs Word, Excel, and Outlook (everything else turned off)
2- installs Access, Word, Excel, and Outlook (everything else turned off)
3- installs Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook (everything else turned off)
4- installs everything

If my user had the default install (template 1) and now needs everything...you have to remove the Office install and reinstall with the new install/template.

I was never able to find a workaround for this.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Harley,

You put it correctly. I just happen to talk to Tusnee and he pointed out that MS has different MSI packages with different product codes. This could be an option. Another possibilitie would be to change that product codes on the newly created templates, but that might cause a problem with updates.

Cheers