cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing loop?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I used the Repackager Snapshot to create an MSI package for a new program we bought. The program is Video Edit Magic 2.3.5 from www.deskshare.com

When I tried to use the Installation Monitoring to create the package, I had a problem. On the clean machine, I would try to open Video Edit Magic to put in the CD key, and I would get an error saying there was a problem with the program and it would close. Once I tried the Snapshot method instead, it was fine.

But now, when I install the MSI on a test machine, it says that it installed successfully, yet the shortcut does not have the program icon. Also, if I double click on the shortcut, a box pops up that says it is installing. Once that starts, it just seems to get into a loop. In fact, at one point yesterday I let it go for about 5 minutes before giving up.

I also had this happen with Acrobat Reader 5.1, however I have made several other packages that work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am publishing the MSI in GPO and then going to Add/Remove Programs and then Add New Program and clicking Add to run the MSI.
(1) Reply
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ok, I've done some more reading and playing with this MSI, and I have found something new. When I install it and then right click on the desktop shortcut it creates, for Target Name it says: Application will install on first use.

Now, that is the problem. On our domain, users do not have anything above domain user access, so they can't install the program on first use. It tries, but eventually fails saying critical error.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?