cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a MSI without any dialog?

Hi all, I do appreciate if you can help me!

I need to create a MSI file for adobe reader without any dialog box. I checked that there has a command line can install the MSI in silent mode: (msiexec /i xxx.msi /q) but that not I want. I need to create a MSI without any dialog.

Also I tried to change two vaues in the isrepackager.ini (PromptForRunSetup=0 and PromptForRepackage=0). It can reduce some dialog but still has two dialog left (Welcome and Finish).

Can you tell me how to create a no dialog MSI?
(7) Replies
Use property LIMITUI=1
Thanks for your help!!! Can you give me more details. Is that the parameter LIMITUI place to isrepackager.ini under [Options] PromptForRunSetup?
lunyi8 wrote:
Thanks for your help!!! Can you give me more details. Is that the parameter LIMITUI place to isrepackager.ini under [Options] PromptForRunSetup?

No. This property must be placed in Property Manager, or directly in Property Table
Thanks for your reply.

But I cannot find that in Admin Studio. Can you provide more information, such as where can I set the parameter? Very very thanks for your help!!!!
1. Open your ism-project in InstallShield Editor.
2. In the left frame of Editor you can see tree with some sections. Find section "Behavior and Logic" and expand it.
3. In bottom of this section you can see position "Property Manager", click on it, and in the left frame you can see Property Manager.
4. Scroll down and add new entry. In the field "Name" you must enter property name LIMITUI (with caps!!!), and in the field "Value" - 1.

It's all. 😉
The LIMITUI Property will run your windows installer package in a basic UI Mode, i.e you will see the Progress bar. If you do not want to see the Progress bar and also do not want to pass any command line options (/qn), then you may want to create a Transform for Adobe Setup that removes all the dialogs from the setup. Keep in mind that this step will require you to set all the properties being set by the Dialogs manually behind the scene. You can use Tuner in AdminStudio to create a transform.
Hi lunyi8,

It is against best practises to capture a MSI which Adobe Reader is..

You should use the adobe tools, all the settings and more info can be found here: http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/browse.asp?cat=alpha&str=a