cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hi people,

A quick question regarding the force reboot action. After the installation is through and the computer is rebooted, I need to log on again using Admin rights. I assume this is viable with MSI, but I have no idea where to start looking. Can anyone give me a little info here please?

The MSI requires the admin rights as forcereboot runs the install through a second time after the install. Can i stop this behaviour or make the PC log in with admin rights? This is on WINXP and I am not sure how the AUTOADMINLOGON functions (NT is easy as i just write into the registry using a custom action. probably not right but it works.)

Any help is appreciated.
(3) Replies
ok, autoadminlogin is now working. but unlike NT, it stays on? can I detect that the key is a 1 and set it to 0 and vice versa without writing a huge piece of script? I want to change it to 1 the first time and then 0 the second time ( as well as remove the password)
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If the AutoAdminLogon key is present under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and contain "1" then you can use AutoLogonCount key value to control the automatic logon next time.

AutoLogonCount will determine the number of automatic logons that occur. Each time the system is rebooted, the value of AutoLogonCount is decremented by one, until it reaches zero. When AutoLogonCount reaches zero, no account will be logged on automatically, the AutoLogonCount key value and DefaultPassword key value, if used, will be deleted from the registry and AutoAdminLogon will be set to zero.

So you can set the value of AutoLogonCount to 1 and once the machine has rebooted the new value will be 0 and next time automatic logon will be disabled.

Note: The automatic logon occurs only when the computer is rebooted, not when the user logs off
excellent, thanks for that.