cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evalutation : Adding virtual machine to ACC

Hi,

I am in the process of evalutating the AdminStudio suite for my enterprise but i am having issues with the addition of a virtual machine into the Automated Application Converter.

The virtual machine i built is on my lab environment which is running on vmware vsphere 5.1 standalone (VMWare's free hypervisor). Now everytime i try to add this machine using the wizard i get the following error message " Could not connect to VMWare ESX or ESXi server with the provided credentials. Please verify the server address or credentials are correct".

I know the credentials are good and so is the server's address I used them fairly often to connect to the host using my vmclient and even tried with multiple account (including root) to be sure it did indee have suffisent access.

The VMWare VXI api is installed on my AdminStudio machine (which is running windows 8, i also tryed it from a windows 7 machine). I currently have version 1.12.0.31680 installed but i have also tried others.

Looking at the event log on the host I can clearly see that the user login everytime i try to add a machine and logout later for innactivity.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the issue? I have looked around in the Knowledge base and forum but havent found anything helpfull in my case. I have looked up the documentation (evaluation guide, user guide and installation guide).

If this can help out anyhow here are additional test i did:

I try to add a machine connecting the ACC to some of my production server which are running on paid licensed version of vSphere 5.1 and had no issue with it the machine showed in the wizard and i could go up to the end of the process fine.

I also tried to connect using an Hyper-V Sever an this time i was able to connect to the host no plroblem but none of the guest computer running on it ever showed in the wizard. The list is empty.

I looked up our firewall to be sure nothing was blocked between my lab host and my laptop and everything is fine there.

Thank you for your help.

Marco
(3) Replies
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi,

Please ensure that you are connecting to the ESX host and not to the vCenter server. If you are connecting to the vCenter server, then you will see the issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Hi Alpesh,

I was indeed trying to connect to the host and not the VCenter.
I actually started to think the issue was related to the ESXi version on my lab's host once i tried to connect to some of my production hosts and got this working. The only difference i could think between them was the version they were running. The production ones are fully purchased licenses version of vSphere 5.1 as opposed to the free version of vSphere 5.1 on my lab's host. After a while i finally came across this well hidden KB article on the Flexera site that confirmed my theory.

http://flexerasoftware.force.com/articles/en_US/INFO/Q214138

It would seem that the free version does not support communication with VMware VIX API...
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Glad that the kb was able to help you understand the issue. You can also look at the VMWare logs in the local temp directory, which will give you a VIX error and some more information. Also running the vmrun.exe from the VIX folder, should help you confirm the issue.

Thanks!