cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom action help

hello guys/girls. I am trying to add a custom action to an msi file. Basically i want one msi to finish installing and when it's done call another msi, can i call it from a unc path? \\servername\share\filename.msi ? Will this work if i try deploying it via GPO? Where should i place my custom action?

Thanks
(3) Replies
hi,

I have done this, but it needed to be called with msiexec.exe /i "prog.msi" /qr

and you need to make sure that the person has access to the network share..stupid comment i know, but it threw me a bit 🙂 I mean the share should be connected at least once before you run the first, I.E put both in the same share. and for some reason it didnt always work. as for placing, at the end. UNC paths are always best for install locations, machines can change drive letter mappings, but as long as the server is always there, you can repair.
Thank you for your reply prostetnic. Do you think it will work when i deploy this msi via GPO? I don't know a whole lot about custome actions, where excatly do i place the action. Did you do yours in VB script?

Thanks for your help
i found that the easiest way to do it was a little er "lame"

I simply created an AutoIT EXE file, that runs the second/third whatever MSI file, distributed that into the msi file and then called the exe file. I am only just today for the first time starting to mess around with the installshield script. It seems pretty good to me. but i have not gotten far enough into it to execute other programs.

As far as distribution is concerned, it doesnt matter if you send it on a postcard, as long as the files are in place and the msi starts, it will deploy.