cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Action not executed when placed before Nested Installation

Hi,

I want to make a nested installation with another MSI package.
I have 2 CA that are stored in Execute Sequence before CostInialize CA.
My CA for nested installation is stored between CostInitialize and CostFinalize.
I have a big problem: I want that my 2 CA (stored before CostInitialize) to be executed before my CA for nested installation, but I notice that the CA for nested installation is launched before my 2 other CA!!!

Can someone have an idea for my problem ?

Thank you for replies.
(4) Replies
First of all, you will want to place the nested installation action between InstallInitialize action and InstallFinalize action of the main installation's action sequence, as mentioned in Nested Installation Actions.

You will also verify the installation log and determine why it is behaving this way.
Thank you for your reply.
I know why I had these problem.
My 2 CA are VBS script.
I wanted to exit my CA with an error code if I didn't find a specfic file.
But in my script, i wrote : On Error Resume Next.
I suppress this line and my script works successfully, but I always don't know how to do a Wscript.Quit in my VBS, because i always have an error in my msi package when i insert this code (Wscript.quit) in my CA.
I have the following error message: Wcript object unknown ...
Do you have an idea how to replace Wscript.Quit by a valid code and how to replace Wscript.Arguments(x) by a valid code too?

Thanks for reply.
You will want to read up on this past newsletter article, Exiting an MSI Installation from a Custom Action.
VBScript Custom Actions are not interpreted by WScript they are interpreted by ActiveScript. Therefore Wscript references are invalid. Also if you are repackaging you are probably pushing silently so you should be aware of the limitation of MSI: only 1 execute sequence at a time.