cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting registry entries containing paths - Bug ?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can anybody tell me if they have come across this problem with repackaging?

I have been trying to repackage QuickTime 6.0.2 so that users do not need to change any of the settings. These settings are stored in the file QuickTime.qtp in a sub folder (QuickTime) of the Applications Data folder (Windows 2000).

So that QuickTime can find these settings, there are two entires in the registry - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc\QuickTime\SystemPreferences\FolderPath and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc\QuickTime\UserLocalPreferences\FolderPath

The CORRECT reg_sz values are C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QuickTime\

Although Repackager is picking up the final slash in the registry file (and showing it correctly as a double slash), it is being ignored when the .inc is converted into an .ism

It took me three days to work this out 😞

I just what to know if I am doing something wrong or whether there is a bug in the Legacy Convertion Wizard.

Many Thanks
(2) Replies
You are correct. The extra slash is ignored when the .inc is converted into an .ism. However, Can you detail me as to how its affecting the user preference settings? I am able to set the user preferences with no problem even without an extra slash.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Glad I'm not going mad 😄

If the final slash is not included, QuickTime thinks that it should look for the setting in the file

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QuickTimeQuicktime.qtr

when it should be looking for

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QuickTime\Quicktime.qtr

As my user's systems are locked down, they naturally do not have permission to create a new file in the first directory path. (And Quicktime gets very upset!)

Although I think QuickTime should qualify the path, it doesn't
It is, unfortunately, a similar story with other software I'm repackaging and athough I know about the problem, it can take a fair bit of time checking all of the registry entries