cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing Changes with Repackager

I am new to the Software Community so excuse me if this is in the wrong forum.

I am trying to capture placing a vbs file on the taskbar. While making my package I am creating a folder with the vbs in it. I am then creating a new toolbar from the task bar, which makes my folder/vbs accessible on the task bar. The problem is that when I install me exe/msi I find that my changes to the task bar have not been captured.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
(1) Reply
clrobinson wrote:
I am trying to capture placing a vbs file on the taskbar. While making my package I am creating a folder with the vbs in it. I am then creating a new toolbar from the task bar, which makes my folder/vbs accessible on the task bar. The problem is that when I install me exe/msi I find that my changes to the task bar have not been captured.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

What you are seeing is what Microsoft wants. They very intentionally do not have a supported way to pin items to the taskbar. This is done to prevent people from throwing a bunch of stuff on the taskbar without the user's permission. Pinning things to the taskbar is the exclusive right of the user. If they want it there, they need to be the one to put it there.

Now, from an enterprise management point of view, I can understand your desire to circumvent this. There are ways of playing tricks with shell verbs to perform taskbar pinning. See the following TechNet blog that shows how:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx

You'll want to use a custom action that utilizes the vbscript code described in the TechNet post.

-Evan