cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access "Product Properties" in Installshield Tuner Adobe Acrobat Standard 6

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I've downloaded the Installshield Tuner for Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard. I've opened the ITW file from Adobe and also the MSI file. Then I try to create a new transform file.

But when I click on the "Product Properties" in the Organization folder the nothing happens.

Any suggestions??
(17) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Yeah I get the same error or it Crashes with the handy dandy XP Debug error.

I've tried several machines here with the 6.0 and 6.0.1 installshield tuner and get the same error .

Hence the reason I'm trawling the installshield forum. If anyone can help??? please do..
Simon and MegaMiM,

I took a look at the latest Tuner, and it seems to work just fine for me. Can you tell me more about how you've got these set up? What version of Windows are you using? Are you trying to create local files, or something on the network? How about the MSIs, are they local or on a server? What if you copy them locally?

MegaMiM, you mentioned that this happens on multiple machines, are they all using the same OS? Can both of you try using a small MSI file (maybe create one if you don't have one)? What is the "XP Debug error" you're getting?

Any info you can provide would be helpful in us trying to reproduce the problem here. Thanks for your help.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I've tried using the Installshield Tuner that Adobe have released under their Acrobat Downloads.
Both Versions 6.0 and 6.01 have been downloaded and tested with Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0.

Both versions of the Acrobat Tuner have been installed on multiple machines (p4 Compaq Desktop, p3 IBM Desktop and p4 toshiba Notebook) under Windows XP and Windows 2000 O/S's

I've followed the Instructions included with the tuner download.

(Copied Installer Directory to Local Drive, used tuner to locate the Acrostan.ITW, created a new MST)

When I try to open any of the first level entries (Product Properties, Files & Folders or Preferences) the Tuner will either Crash and give me the classic winXP debug/Cancel error or the Right hand pane will 'freeze' and begin displaying the contents of any window that is brought forward and minimised again.

here's the contents of the Debug Panel and a snapshot

CiceroUIWndFrame: ISIDE.EXE - Application Error

The Instruction at "0x01610387" referenced memory at "0x00000001". The memory could not be "read"
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
My main reasons for trying to utilise the Adobe Tuner is so we can prepare Adobe 6 for Managesoft Deployment with as Little User Interaction as possible.

I've managed to overcome the serial number and Silent install with Command Line Switches to the MSI but I'd desperately love to remove the AutoUpdate and Registration components which the Tuner provided by Adobe is said to allow.

Look forward to hearing from you
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
An msi's storage model is based on com storage.

All the componants you describe relate to the "summary information stream" in this storage model. Maybe there's a hint there somewhere.....
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm a newbie at MSI's, still learning as I go .
However I've d/l'd the eval of Adminstudio and it's Tuner works fine. It just isn't as customised as The Adobe Tuner which still doesn't work ?

Hmm ..

Any other Ideas.
Simon and MegaMiM,

I had a chance to discuss this problem with some of our developers, and the recommendation is that you contact Adobe to ask about this particular problem. Apparently, there are some differences in the code between the InstallShield Tuner and Adobe Tuner 6.0. And since we have been unable to reproduce the problem with our version, it would be best to contact Adobe on this issue.

Sorry we couldn't help any more than that, let us know if you have any other questions.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Unfortunately getting a response from adobe is like talking to a halfwitted child.

See Email #1 -

Hello Matthew,
_
Thank you for contacting Adobe Support.
_
With regard to your issue, please refer to the url: www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/deployment.html_ for further support on Silent Installation for Acrobat.
_
Should there be anything else, feel free to contact us back. Please indicate your Case ID on the subject field of the email for reference.
_
Regards,
_
Mylia
Adobe Asia-Pacific Support

and Email #2

Hello Matthew,
_
Thank you for your email.
_
We are sorry to inform you that the issue is beyond our technical knowledge._ This support center only supports issues regarding local machine installations._ That is why we would like to refer you to the url previously provided or to our partners, which are mainly in-charge of such issues: http://partners.adobe.com.
_
Hoping for your consideration.
_
Feel free to contact us back for futher information. Please indicate your Case ID on the subject field of the email for reference.
_
Regards,
_
Mylia
Adobe Asia-Pacific Support

Adobe admit that they have no clue and their support staff only support local installs.

Looks like I'm doomed to trawl Bulletin boards.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I too am having the exact same issue with Acrobat Reader 6.01 and Tuner. I called Adobe and they told me to call InstallShield..

Does anyone else have this issue????

Anthony
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Solution found.....

Change your regional settings to English US and it works..... Mine was set to English Australia. Once the MST is created, you can safely change it back...

Im surprised this bug wasn't picked up earlier....

AA
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks .. Will Try..

I just edited the setup.ini to include a CMD_Line string with Silent Install, serial number etc

Worked OK with that as well.
Aabraham,

Impressive troubleshooting!! How did you even think to look there?

*Tips hat*
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Alot of stuffing around... I was so surprised that fixed it.. Took me 2 days to find a solution - at least I did..

In saying that, Im still a bit dissapointed with the product. There are certain preferences that cannot be customised with the Tuner. Eg changing inches to mm cannot be done.

Anthony
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If you only want to disable product registration and updater the merge the following reg key to your software package:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\6.0\FeatureLockdown]
"bRegisterProduct"=dword:00000000
"bUpdater"=dword:00000000
I would be interested to know the format of the string you entered in the setup.ini.

I am having a problem with getting the msi to accept the license string from an MST and the setup.ini sounds like a good workaaround

Mat
Mellis-

Search the forums in the last year for Adobe Acrobat...there is a ton of information out there regarding this product.

Here is a quick snapshot of hints for you:

1) Use Dev to apply Adobe's transform file to package MSI.
2) Change UIMODE property to NO
3) Add ISX_SERIALNUMBER=1111-1111-1111-1111-1111-1111 (your serial key here)
4) Turn off CA_QV custom action so it doesn't execute.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi, I worked a lot with the TUner for Reader 6.0.1 and now also for Elements. I have complained directly to Adobe support about the limitations to their Tuner. You can't even move a shortcut for Best Practices. Anyway, I did not specifically run into the error you are getting but found some info on Google about this. It may be a setting that you can turn off that will stop this error.

Below is the info I found on the error:
Remove CiceroUIWndFrame to avoid crashes

Recently, my system has been crashing more often, due to a process or program "CiceroUIWndFrame."

I found out that this is the "Speech and Handwriting Recognition" part of Office XP. To de-install it, go to

"Control Panel"
"Add/Remove Programs"
"Microsoft Office," click on the "Change" button
browse to "Office Shared Features," "Alternative User Input," and select for Speech and Handwriting Recognition (both) "Not available" from the drop-down box.

Perform the change and the CiceroUIWndFrame messages disappear. Took just a second, and you don't even have to restart your system or insert the XP Office CD.

I hope this helps.
~Al