cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AdminStudio use a SQL Database in Amazon/AWS RDS ?

Hi All,

Our datacentre team are migrating stuff to AWS, and asking if AdminStudio can supports connecting to an RDS Database?  I'm assuming they can mimic an MS SQL Database hosted in RDS, does AdminStudio connect to it or must it be a Windows Server running native SQL ?

Thanks...

(1) Solution

Hi @stevemba -

AdminStudio uses Microsoft SQL Server for its Application Catalog database. First introduced in the AdminStudio 2022 R2 release, AdminStudio now supports Azure SQL service as an additional option for those using Microsoft Azure cloud environments.

At this time, AdminStudio does not natively support AWS RDS; it may work but if you want to set up an AdminStudio environment in AWS you need to stand up a Windows Server with SQL Server installed on it.  We had enough feedback from customers that Azure was the popular cloud provider for Windows-based infrastructure, so we started offering support there initially.

Flexera is always open to customer feedback. Feel free to post support for the Application Catalog to support native AWS RDS in our Ideals portal for AdminStudio here.  If other users find this suggestion helpful they can vote on it and this gives us more indication that there's enough interest to devote time and resources to adding this further.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

Hi @stevemba -

AdminStudio uses Microsoft SQL Server for its Application Catalog database. First introduced in the AdminStudio 2022 R2 release, AdminStudio now supports Azure SQL service as an additional option for those using Microsoft Azure cloud environments.

At this time, AdminStudio does not natively support AWS RDS; it may work but if you want to set up an AdminStudio environment in AWS you need to stand up a Windows Server with SQL Server installed on it.  We had enough feedback from customers that Azure was the popular cloud provider for Windows-based infrastructure, so we started offering support there initially.

Flexera is always open to customer feedback. Feel free to post support for the Application Catalog to support native AWS RDS in our Ideals portal for AdminStudio here.  If other users find this suggestion helpful they can vote on it and this gives us more indication that there's enough interest to devote time and resources to adding this further.

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, we may give it a try if we can connect using Windows Auth to a database stood up in dev environment.