cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutomatedApp Converter

I'm trying to create a virtual app in Admin Studio 10 SP2. I'm using hyperV for my VMs. Everytime i run the Automated App Converter tool, i get "Error 1627 reverting virtual machine to snapshot AutoRepack_Base. " anyone have any ideas? I have made sure I do not have any snapshots other than the base.
(9) Replies
Hi There,

Try making sure you are running on Server 2008 R2. If I recall, some API methods are new to that release:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379578(v=VS.85).aspx

If it's still problematic at that point, then I'd reach our to our support team for further assistance.
Already have a ticket in. We are using server 2008 r2 DataCenter for the Hyper-V host server.
Hey Howyii,

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this issue? we are having similar problems with one of our hyper-v servers.
it is 2008 R2 Datacenter with SP1. Each tim I try to launch a package for testing it just basically shuts down the guest vm and spits out that error message...

Error 1627 reverting virtual machine to snapshot AutoRepack_Base

I cant find anything else in google about this.

thanks,

JD
I ended up rebuilding my server to enterprise. You may want to validate the following. Got no help from support either. they ended up dropping the ticket.

1. Make sure the converter client is installed in the VM snapshot
2. Make sure your snapshot is named AutoRepack_Base.

A couple of things about the Converter,

1. It really doesn't do anything for feature states with AppV
2. Since it is an automated process, if the application needs to be launched do download add-ins or set configurations the converter will not capture any of that.
howyii wrote:

1. Make sure the converter client is installed in the VM snapshot

Yes. It is very important to run "%ProgramFiles%\AdminStudio\11.5\Repackager\VirtualMachinePrep\VMCfg.exe" on your VM. This is needed in order to stand up our "Guest Agent" which communicates from the VM to your AdminStudio Client Tools machine. VMCfg.exe also performs several other important functions such as disabling UAC.

howyii wrote:

2. Make sure your snapshot is named AutoRepack_Base.

Also, be sure that you only have one snapshot named AutoRepack_Base. Because snapshots are tracked via GUIDs (and not their name), it is possible to create multiple snapshots that use the same name. But AdminStudio is not using the GUID to refer to the snapshot (nor should it; We'd just end up annoying our users who would have to find the darn GUID), the system would not be capable of knowing which AutoRepack_Base snapshot to revert to. In this situation, the Hper-V server, vSphere server, or VMware Workstation throws an error and doesn't revert the snapshot.

howyii wrote:

A couple of things about the Converter,

1. It really doesn't do anything for feature states with AppV

We aren't running a capture during the App-V package creation, therefore it is not possible to accurately determine which resources need to be in Feature Block 1 and which ones can safely be in Feature Block 2. Unless streaming is a big thing for you, my recommendation is to set the AAC's "Package Optimization" default to "Offline" (this is in the Automated Application Converter's Options menu.) This setting forces all resources to be placed in Feature Block 1.

howyii wrote:

2. Since it is an automated process, if the application needs to be launched do download add-ins or set configurations the converter will not capture any of that.

Use the "Post-Installation Configuration" option, setting it to "Enabled"
This will allow you to launch the app, apply updates, add-ins, configure settings, etc. as part of the vendor package capture. I use this constantly. In fact, it's unusual that I bother fully automating the vendor setup (I typically leave the Command Line field in the AAC blank) because I know that I frequently will need to tweak some settings after the install. And I'm certainly not going to spend the time researching the vendor setup silent command switch...if I were to spend even just 10 or 15 minutes performing such research, it would be fail; I could be mostly finished with the capture by then in many cases. So while I absolutely love the AAC (and I rarely bother with Remote Repackager anymore, as the AAC is just way too convenient and also beautifully ties into my Win7/8 readiness testing and Virtualization and package testing), I do not find myself bothering with actual 100% automation of the vendor install...in most of my situations it simply doesn't make sense.
However, for some customers who already have 100% automated legacy installs, or who have already gathered all of the silent install switches, using the AAC for 100% automated package creation does make a lot of sense. But I'd have to imagine that there are not a ton of companies out there that have done that. Regardless, I use the AAC all the time and it saves me a crazy amount of time and effort. I'd go so far as to say that if you are licensed for the AAC (which is part of the AdminStudio Virtualization Pack) and are not using it (a lot), you're doing it wrong.
Evan Border wrote:
I'd go so far as to say that if you are licensed for the AAC (which is part of the AdminStudio Virtualization Pack) and are not using it (a lot), you're doing it wrong.

Cant quite agree with you. I put in an issue early last year with Version 10 and the reason why a lot of "customers" don't use it is because it was buggy and couldn't get results. Tickets would get dropped or handed off to a point that "Customers" hated calling in and rather would deal with it. I have an SI license and manage several customers totally over 1200 apps without it. I also find myself using WPS and MS AppV Sequencer to capture things that Install Shield doesn't. To say customers are doing wrong, it is only because of Flexera's failure to support the customers.

However, I have recently updated to 11.5 over the weekend and will see if I still have to same issues as before. I will say, the transition from 11 - 11.5sp1 was painful and still not being able to run bulk compat tests is lacking.
howyii wrote:
Cant quite agree with you. I put in an issue early last year with Version 10 and the reason why a lot of "customers" don't use it is because it was buggy and couldn't get results.

Don't take my last sentence too literally. I was being a little bit snarky 🙂 There are many ways to use a product such as AdminStudio and many ways to get good results. My feeling is that the AAC has been saving me considerable time that I would otherwise be wasting just performing menial tasks such as copying the vendor install (which in some cases can be rather big) into my packaging VM, copying the resulting capture output out of the packaging VM, setting up for a test of my package, etc. All of those mindless time-consuming tasks can be done for me in the background while I do something useful such as write a custom action or review Test Center results.

That said, I agree that there have been some annoying bugs in the AAC but nearly every one that has plagued me has been cleared up in AdminStudio 11.5 SP1.

howyii wrote:

I also find myself using WPS to capture things that Install Shield doesn't.

How often do you find yourself needing to do that? What seems to be the issue tripping up our Repackager? (I know this would basically be a guess, I'm just curious on your thoughts) FYI, for many years I worked as Senior consultant for Wise/Altiris/Symantec and I am aware that there are still some areas where our AdminStudio needs improvement. However, I absolutely do not miss how long issues would take to be resolved in WPS. I'm not saying that our product is perfect, but I have been very pleased with how quickly many of my bug submissions have been resolved (particularly in the AdminStudio 11.5 SP1 release.) I cannot say the same about my time with Wise.

howyii wrote:
still not being able to run bulk compat tests is lacking.

Agreed. I would also like to be able to select multiple packages for App Compat tests. But, as a work around for Enterprise edition customers, you can use the PowerShell commands to crunch through all of your packages and run the App Compat tests.
I just recognized your name. We actually had some of this discussion in St. Louis over some brew when you come to train one of Flexera’s customers. WPS was actually a good product before it sent to the graveyard (Symantec), nothing against you it is just Symentec as a company has a record. I have used Wise since prior to being purchased by Altiris. We should probably take this offline with each other so we don’t clutter the board. But to answer your question:
MSI
1. Still find it easier to catch Active X Plugins with WPS
2. Manage Java application installs in WPS
3. Drivers
4. Customizing Custom Actions (BIG ONE!)
APP-V
1. Use Microsoft tools (funny since I paid out for a SI license) because AES handles shortcuts and OSD creation differently.
a. Every time I captured with AS I had to reopen or modify with Microsoft, so I stayed with Microsoft.
2. Microsoft Sequencer also seems manage legacy java applications better than AS 10.
However, I’m willing to compare the tools again with 11.5 SP1 and hope the $XX,XXX tool can pay for itself this year.

Since I have your attention, one last question:
Since the Compatibility Solver got lumped in with the App Manager interface, did the option to run Application Virtualization Test change to only being able to run against 1 application verses all the apps imported?
howyii wrote:

Since I have your attention, one last question:
Since the Compatibility Solver got lumped in with the App Manager interface, did the option to run Application Virtualization Test change to only being able to run against 1 application verses all the apps imported?

Yes, that appears to be the case. We replaced the Compatibility Solver with the Test Center in version 11.5 and it appears that the Test Center UI only allows for selecting one app for compatibility/virtualization readiness testing at a time.