cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AlwaysInstallElevated

This isnt working!!! I have this key enabled under both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If I login as a user with " USER " rights and attempt to install / run an .msi I get an error that basically says that "you must be logged in as an administrator to perform the installation". I've had a few applications that get through most of the installation but eventually I receive an error stating something like "could not update environment variable Path". Verify that you have sufficient provileges to modify environment variables, in the case of Adobe Acrobat 5.1.

Why is this the case if AlwaysInstallElevated is supposed to allow the installation to install with system level (Admin) rights?

HELP!!!

Bryan
(4) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
In order to set AlwaysInstallElevated in the profile with "USER" rights you either have to use regedit and remotely load the user's hive (and don't forget to unload it or a subsequent logon of that profile will generate a new one for the user) or you have to temporarily make the "USER" and "ADMIN" so they can set the key then make them back into a USER.

If you are setting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER value while logged on as an ADMIN then logging off and on as a USER - the HKEY_CURRENT_USER policy key has not be set for the USER - only for the ADMIN id.
AGHHHHH!!! I should've known that. How about a policy that set's this "value"? To test this I should be able to set this using gpedit, correct? I would have to enable it in both the user and computer configuration correct?

Thanks,

Bryan
Is there a property in an .msi that checks for ADMIN rights on the local machine? I have "AlwaysInstallElevated" enabled in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER for a user that has "USER" rights on a Win2k box. It appears that any of the .msi's I've created install properly but if I attempt to install an "out of the box" .msi from a vendor like Symantec's Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.X / 8.X it almost immediately throws up a dialog stating you must have admin rights to install this app! What is causing this? I have several apps that exhibit this behaviour.

Grrr,

Bryan
You can use the AdminUser or the Privileged property in MSI.

The installer sets the AdminUser property on Windows NT/Windows 2000 if the user has administrator privileges. This property is always set on Windows 95 and Windows 98.

The Privileged property indicates whether the installation is performed in the context of elevated privileges. The installer sets this property if the user has administrator privileges, if the application has been assigned by a system administrator, or if both the user and machine policies AlwaysInstallElevated are set to true.
Top Kudoed Authors