cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After package uninstall, WSH breaks

I packaged an application and it installs properly. However when it is removed it apparently breaks the Windows Script Host. There is a vb script for the login that cannot run now. I get this message:

Script: \logon.vbs
Line: 25
Char: 5
Error: Could not create object named "WScript.Shell".
Code: 8007045A
Source: WScript.CreateObject

I imagine it is either removing a needed registry entry (perhaps COM?) or a .dll file. Any ideas?
(5) Replies
You are correct that your package is removing files or registry entries that shouldn't be removed. You will need to review your project, and remove the components that contain those information. If you need to deploy Windows Scripting Host, you should use merge module in Redistributables view instead.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If that package has been already deployed you can try to fix the problem by registering %windir%\system32\wshom.ocx file again
That file contains necessary registry entries for wscript.shelll object

-Jone
Well, it hasn't been deployed yet, but they are hot to get this done. Problem is that I don't know what registry entries WSH needs so I'm not sure what to look for. I looked around on the net, but I couldn't find much in the way of what dlls or registry entries it uses. Would I be able to open up wshom.ocx somehow to look at what registry settings it registers (or some other file)?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If you are using Adminstudio or devstudio you can find from directory C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\5.5\DevStudio\Support\ file called regspyui.exe . With that you can see those entries .

-Jone
That's a nice little utility I didn't know about. However I can't seem to track down what is causing this. I didn't find any of the registry entries in wshom.ocx in the package. I went through and removed registry entries for mfc42.dll (should already be on the machine) and ssvb16.dll. Neither fixed it. I looked through all the dlls mentioned in the registry section and the rest were definately a part of the application.

I also found out that after rebooting (after the uninstall) I get

lsass.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

and of course then it won't even boot into safe mode at that point. Any one have some ideas on this one before I pull all my hair out? 🙂