cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AdminStudio 5.5 and "HKEY_Classes_Root" problems

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am repackaging an application using Adminstudio V5.5 and having issues with registry entries not coming across. With AdminStudio V5 when I repackaged the same application it worked with no issues.
The problem is with entries in HKEY_Classes_Root. After the initial capture of the installation, when I run Repackager I can see the correct entires : "HKEY_Classes_Root\app\shell\delete\command","HKEY_Classes_Root\app\shell\edit\command" and "HKEY_Classes_Root\app\shell\open\command".
If I create an MSI at that point and install it, those entries do not get installed and the application doesnt start correctly.
When I open the ISM with DevStudio 9 and check System 'Configuration/Registry' all I can find is an entry for "HKEY_Classes_Root\app" and no sub keys.
To work out where the error was, I installed the original MSI created in V5, and took a snapshot, I then installed the failing MSI (from V5.5) and took an after snapshot and this showed me where the differences were in "HKEY_Classes_Root".
If I then import a reg file into the ISM with the correct entries and then create an MSI, it installs correctly and the app works.

What has changed between V5 and V5.5 to cause this behaviour and what should I do to avoid the same thing occuring in the future?
(1) Reply
Since nobody else responded I will chime in. I cannot recreate this on my systems. I repackage 2 apps with similar reg keys, 1 on a VMware Windows 2000 build and 1 on a Standard XP box. Both times the HKCR\TestApp\Shell\open\Default values were captured.

Do you have this key listed in your Global Exclusion file? (In Repackager under Tools.)