cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin Studio Folder Permissions

Hi,

I am new to Installshield, have used Wise Package studio for years.
My question below pretains to security permissions that can be assigned within the msi.

When locking a folder down in an msi package, will the security permissions apply to the sub-folders of the parent folder or must I apply permissions to all sub-folders of the parent folder?

Thanks in advance.......
(4) Replies
I have always had to apply them to the child folders. Usually, now, I use a custom action to do an ACL change on the directory in question and just apply propigation from there.
When using the MSI permissions, remember is a replace, not an add, so if you don't apply all the groups/users that you need, it might not be correct.

Good luck
Thanks for the information.

I have noticed, when appling permissions to folders using the Installshield permissions feature, it was hit and miss. It seems that granting permissions to a file works well, but granting permissions to a whole directory would not apply.

I will try the custom action route as you suggested using CACLS.

Thanks Again....
When setting permissions through the lockpermission table you can set perms on files and/or components only. If you want to set perms on a specific folder you have to set them on the component that creates that folder.
Open your project, goto the Files and folder view.

Under Destination computer's folders expand to find the folder in need of the special permissions.

Right click on the folder and select properties, Click permissions. Under the User column. Enter Users. Step off the field. Then highlight the users entry you just created. Click Advanced. Select the permissions you need to assign for that folder. When you are all done, take a look at the lockpermissions folder and note what gets entered there. From this pint on you can just go directly to direct editor. I created a blank project and ran a series of permission assignments and then created myself a little cheatsheet with all the applicable values for future use.

Hope this helps.