cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can anybody help, I am trying to create an MSI for Microsoft ActiveSync using AdminStudio v5.02. The Install Monitor will not launch the exe so I used Snapshot to create it. The snapshot seems to have worked OK, but when I launch ActiveSync having installed it, a Windows Explorer window launches with the contents of the ActiveSync directory. This happens from the shortcut in Start >> Programs and also if you launch it through Windows Explorer by double clicking wcesmgr.exe.

Any ideas ?
(8) Replies
I remember running into the same/similar behavior while working on some version of ActiveSync. It's been a while, probably more than a year. If my memory serves me right, it's registry related. However, I can't remember what exactly were modified to resolve this.

I would suggest taking the following steps,
- prepare a clean machine
- run the original ActiveSync installation
- run snapshot for the first time
- run the repackaged ActiveSync installation
- run snapshot for the second time to get the differences
- analyze the additional entries added by repackaged version
What the hell !!!!!!!!!!!

I face this same problem. I evaluated wise on this issue but it worked fine. So this is an issue with InstallShield A S 5.02..

The problem is that we have enterprise license for AS5.02
and we cannot move to wise smmothly after investing such a huge amount. I would appreciate if some senior guy look into this issue.

Hope something comes positive out of this.

Nio.
😞
You didn't provide any detail on your problem. If you strongly believe it's a product issue, please contact InstallShield Support at MySupport for assistance.
Exlude these registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\AutoStartOnDisconnect]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\AutoStartOnDisconnect]
@=""

It took me half a day of comparing registry entries from the original install to the packaged install but it finally works!!

The only problem I have now is when the PDA is plugged in I have to manually tell it where the driver is?

Have you tried copying the drivers (in the package you are building) to the Windows\System32 folder?
Yes, that was the first thing I tried. However, I made the package again with the newer version 6 and it works this time.
Why are you repackaging an application that is already distributed as an MSI????

Where I work we just use the manufacturer .MSI, I dont see why repackaging is neccassary or am I missing something???

http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downloads/details.asp?dID=2755&downloadID=13336&pID=186

Every download on that site is an .MSI and the version that we have, which is an version 7.1 is also an MSI.

Paul
The bug here is a problem for many packages and not just ActiveSync.

What the repackaging converter does wrong is the way that it makes empty registry keys. Instead of using the + to create the registry key it creates an empty default value, ""

You can see the difference in regedit, an empty registry value is different from (value not set) and there are this bug affects a lot of packages involving hardware too.

Make it part of your packaging process to correct these keys and you will avoid strange errors and hours of troubleshooting.

looeee
Top Kudoed Authors