cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Setup question

I am trying to copy a file in the user profile. I was told to use active setup and it's not working. What am I doing wrong. Here is what I did;

1) Created a dummy registry key under HKCU and I set it as key path.
2) Under HKLM\software\microsoft\active setup\installed components\[GUID]
I put "msiexec /fup {BE5AD430-9E0C-4243-AB3F-593835869855} /qb!" at the stubpath key.

when the new user logs in, I can see the windows is doing a repair as if it's going to place the file but it only copies the dummy registry to the HKCU but not the file under the user profile. What am I doing wrong? what more is involved in active setup?
(5) Replies
Hi,

Is the file in the same component as the registry entry?
Yes. It is in the same component.
Are you installing to a path under %USERPROFILE%? Or are you using something like [AppDataFolder]?

Using something based on %USERPROFILE% should force it to never resolve to the All Users profile, and reinstall the file. If you generate a log of the autorepair, do you see the path that is referenced for that file?

You can capture the Autorepair log using the logging policy value of 'voicewarmup':

INFO: Enable Windows Installer Logging with Group Policies
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q110697
I've created a folder under [UserProfile]. I am just dumping one file which repair is not dumping the file when a new user logs in. Only the junk registry key is copied.

How would you setup the active setup. If you need to do a repair and copy the file to whoever logs in.

Thanks for all your help.
[USERPROFILE] would be the folder I would use. This is set by the built-in InstallShield custom actions that pull this folder from the environment variable I was talking about.

So, based on your current configuration, I would expect this to work with standard AutoRepair. Now, msiexec /fup, again, should work OK for this. But there's a few things I would try to see if they make any difference:

1. Change /fup to /fpocmus. This is the standard parameter that's used for Autorepair when it gets called by a COM Class or Advertised shortcut.

2. Try running the repair from Add/Remove Programs to see if the same behavior persists

3. Use the link I posted to generate logs of when the file isn't getting copied. Basically, with the REINSTALLMODE parameters being set with /f, it will not be copying the file if it is looking in the wrong location. If it IS looking in the wrong locate, it should be visible when it determines that the component needs to get reinstalled.

If nothing seems to help, posting the log for review probably would be helpful. Something might be evident in the log that I'm overlooking.