cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acrobat Reader 5.0

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
:mad: Okay, I am new at this but this is really driving me nuts. I have tried 8 ways from Sunday to get Acrobat Reader 5.0 to create a package that doesn't continually make msi calls every time a user logs in or opens the control panel. I changed the HKCU proxy setting in the options.ini file hoping to eliminate the problem. When I built the package, the Repackager replaced the options.ini file with a default one. Additionally, I excluded some registry entries and the Repackager did not exclude them.

Practically all of my packages are having this issue. I did manage to get IBM Client Access Express to act right by changing the HKCUProxy setting in the Options.ini. Why are all of my packages doing this and why is Acrobat Reader giving me such a hard time. I have a support call in but I really need to get these issues resolved as soon as possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

🙂
(3) Replies
Have you tried to use MSISPY that is available in MSI SDK 1.2. This tool will let you know why the package is trying to self-repair when a new user logs in.

Since Microsoft is not redistributing this any more here is the version of MSISPY that was shipped with MSI 1.2
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you for the Msispy. I downloaded it but received an error when I tried to open it.

I have noticed a common issue in my packages. In the Features tree, almost all of mine add "InstallNewFeature". The features seem to be what is called by the msi whenever a user logs in and runs something. If I tell the msi not to advertise, that may take care of the issues. Does that make sense?

Rich
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Try this one. You also can use filemonitor and/or regmonitor to check out what's the package trying to add/remove