cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AS 5.02 - Repackager Template

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Issue:- Unable to create projects using a template from within Repackager.

Upon completing a monitored installation, Repackager launches and I click down to 'Repackaged Output', select the template I'm trying to use and click Build. I receive the following text in the status window:-

Monday, August 18, 2003 11:00:46AM
Starting conversion
Creating Developer project: X:\Microsoft\PictureControl\ISMFiles\Picture Control.ism
Checking version of template file 'E:\My Documents\MySetups\Template.ist'
An unknown error occurred
Conversion completed with 0 warning(s).
Log file created: X:\Microsoft\PictureControl\INCFiles\Build Log.txt

The Template was created in Developer 8.02 by means of selecting Basic MSI Project and General Information entered, the file was then saved as template with the 'Save as type' set to Template (.ist)

If anyone can shed any light on this issue I'd appreciate it.
(6) Replies
Does the project build with thw default template? If Yes, then you probably need to narrow it down as to what information in the created template is causing this.
You can also send the project and your template at praveenl@installshield.com
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
The project will build with the default template. I am able to use my template when I'm repackaging a Legacy project but always receive the error on a Monitored and Snapshoted attempt. I've tried several different customised templates without success, this issue is replicated on every installation of AdminStudio we have onsite.
Clarky,

Praveen asked me to jump in here and see if I could reproduce this issue. Unfortunately, the template I created using Developer seems to work OK when I repackage a project, so if you could send me a copy of your IST file, I would like the opportunity to try it out here.

If you could email it to me at markh@installshield.com, I can take a look at it right away. If you need to send me an NDA or anything like that first, then please do that as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Clarky,

Wanted to give you a brief update. I'm able to reproduce this issue on my computer, and when I create a completely blank template (no additional data), it seems to work just fine. So, I'm tempted to say that it is the over 770 character strings in the template that are somehow choking up repackager.

However, a guess is not very helpful in this case, so I am continuing to work on this. My apologies for not having an answer to this sooner, I hope to have a complete answer by tomorrow. Thank you for your continued patience while I work on this.
Clarky,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, I was out of the office and didn't get a chance to work on this. But, I have figured out what was causing this error.

I started looking at the differences between your template file that you sent me and a "blank" template file, and it was one of the items in the Property table that was causing this issue. The ARPURLINFOABOUT property was missing from your template, but present in the one that was working. I didn't have to enter any value for ARPURLINFOABOUT, just adding that item seems to fix the problem.

I have reported this to our developer group and it will be addressed in the near future. Thank you for reporting this issue to us, and my apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
That works.

Thanks again for all your help.