cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobHickey
Level 4

setup.exe crashes - but not with silent install

The installer I am creating works when using a silent install script, but crashes on launch when the setup.exe is interactive.  This is a sudden issue as no changes have been made to my InstallShield script project and no updates to Windows.

When clicking on setup.exe, a folder is create in %temp%, but does not contain a setup.exe file and the install crashes.

The same set of installer files, when launched from a silent script, creates a folder in %temp% that does contain a setup.exe and the install works perfectly.

Any ideas on why this could be happening?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @BobHickey ,

What is the silent commandline you use?

"When clicking on setup.exe, a folder is create in %temp%, but does not contain a setup.exe file and the install crashes."-This might not be the cause.

Here you have to note something that when you click on setup.exe there will be 2 GUID folders will be created in %temp% folder.Among one of those will contain files like setup.exe,ISSetup.dll,2 ini files as reference from IS2018 based setup.

The same will be for silent installation as well.There is something else causing it to crash.

Can you try logging installscript using below article and get back here?

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge/Logging-an-InstallScript-Project/ta-p/4322

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Jenifer,

Thanks for responding.  I have attached the bin files as instructed.

Also, when running silently, I do get two folders in %TEMP%.  Launching interactively, I only get one folder.

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos

Hi @BobHickey ,

Thanks for sharing those files.But i dont think so those log files are of comparison purpose.I could see log "setuptrace2716.log as installation log and "setuptrace17784.log"  as having self-deletion entries.

Can you please send log files of both UI-interactive install as well silent one?(So that comparison will be easy)

Hope you are using InstallShield 2004,in which my observations might vary since it is IS2018 based.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Jenifer,

You wrote, "Hope you are using InstallShield 2004".   2004?  No, I am using InstallShield 2018.

How are you seeing log files from the bin files I sent?  Do I have that ability?

- Bob

0 Kudos

Hi @BobHickey ,

InstallScript log viewer is with InstallShield Support,it might not be available for customer since it is support specific.So i couldn't share that.

In the log i could see specific entry stating IS2004,we can ignore that string i guess(Seems like false positive :-))

Feel free to share bin files for both working and crashing scenario.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

I have a full version of InstallShield 2018 Premier.  I've used the log viewer, but these are bin files.   I appreciate the help.

These are the two files created from an interactive installation - creating a bad setup.exe.

0 Kudos

These are the two files created from a silent installation - creating a good setup.exe.

0 Kudos

Solved. It turns out that replacing the setup.bmp file was the cause. Although the file was the same dimensions and size, I had to remove the link to the setup.bmp, then add it again. Once I did that, all was good.
0 Kudos

The silent command line I am running is 

"\\jmpsrv01\dev\install\JMP15\JMP1500\WinOS\JMP\2019.06.11\JMP\setup.exe" -s -f1"C:\NotOneDrive\SETUP\setup.iss"

0 Kudos