cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marc
Level 3

Very simple product upgrade - questions

Hi, I am trying to put my first installer together and have some very basic questions. My application and requirements are very simple. When I release an upgrade I want to be able to completely overwrite the existing installation with whatever is in the new version. From reading the helpnet documentation, my understanding of the settings that I need to be concerned about is:

1) ProductVersion needs to be different from the original installer
2) ProductCode should be the same
3) UpgradeCode should be the same
4) PackageCode should be different

Is this correct? If not, what should the settings be?
Where do I set the packageCode. The documentation says that it should be part of the summary Information Stream, but if I look at the general information page I do not see anything on package code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

marc
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
marc
Level 3

OK, I figured out where the package code is being set (on the releases tab), and that doesn't seem to be my problem. I think that what I need is to be able to set the REINSTALLMODE parameters to include a.

Where can the reinstallmode parameters get set?

Thanks

marc
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Marc,

Kindly refer the following article which has more information regarding the REINSTALLMODE property and the values that can be set.

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q107993

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
marc
Level 3

Thank's Lenwin

Overwriting specific files is not available in the LE edition, so I had to modify the default INI file. I also had to change the product code in addition to the version number to make it work, which means that I end up with multiple versions in the add/remove programs listing. I'm not sure that is as it is supposed to be, but it seems to be the only way that I could get it to work.

Thanks

marc
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Marc,

Kindly perform the below steps to create an upgrade and let us know the results.

Create a base setup with version number ex: 1.00.0000.

When creating an upgrade, kindly change the product code and the Product version

Ensure that the Product version of the upgrade is higher than the base version. ex:1.30.0000.

In the upgrades paths view, create a new upgrade path.

Refer the setup.exe or an msi file of the previous version ex 1.00.0000.

If you do not have the setup file of the older version, then kindly ensure that the upgrade code of the new version of the installer is same as that of the older version.Specify appropriate values in the Min version and Max version field for the new upgrade path created.

Build the setup.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
marc
Level 3

I ran the test that you suggested. My guess is that, like many things, it becomes more obvious when you understand the process.

I built a test installer and ran it.
Then I upgraded the version and generated a new product guid
Then I created an upgrade path and pointed it to the previous installer.
*** This was a step I was not doing previously ***

I ran the upgrade and everything worked as expected ... here was only one entry in add/remove programs.

I had previously understood that the upgrade path was only necessary if the previous version was a prerequisite for the current version, and in my case it was not. I now believe that this is not the case, and I will have to have an upgrade path for any previously installed version.

Thanks

marc
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Marc,

Once a new Upgrade path is created we need to ensure that the upgrade code of the previous version installer should be entered in the Upgrade code field.

This ensures that when the installation of the current version begins, the windows installer searches the target system for the specified upgrade code. Upon finding a matching upgrade code along with other matching upgrade properties the windows installer upgrades the target system by installing the newer version.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos