cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tfojvdl
Level 4

Start Single Setup Executable with parameters

Hello,
we create a single setup executable with InstallShield Professional 2008, lets say it is called MySetup.exe. During the installation the user is asked for some input like DatabaseName and ServerIP.

Some of our customers would like to start the setup without filling those input everytime. They would like to run the installation someway automatic.
Is there a way to do that?

I was thinking about a command line install like

MySetup.exe -DatabaseName=db1 -ServerIP=192.168.28.98

or

MySetup.exe MySetup.ini with the ini containing all user input values.

Is there a way to do that?
Thanks for your help.
Jürgen
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
thepeter
Level 7

type MySetup.exe /? and see what you get.
also you can open Setup.ini with notepad and try to see if any of that makes sense to you.

best of luck! Peter.
0 Kudos
DanCla
Level 5

I don't know what kind of installer you are building but if you can build and msi instead, you can do the following:
msiexec /i C:\Example.msi USERNAME=Default COMPANYNAME="ABC Corp"
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

DanCla wrote:
I don't know what kind of installer you are building but if you can build and msi instead, you can do the following:
msiexec /i C:\Example.msi USERNAME=Default COMPANYNAME="ABC Corp"

And if the package is wrapped into an .exe bootstrapper, the syntax is MySetup.exe /v"USERNAME=Default COMPANYNAME=\"ABC Corp\""
0 Kudos
tfojvdl
Level 4

IlkkaV wrote:
And if the package is wrapped into an .exe bootstrapper, the syntax is MySetup.exe /v"USERNAME=Default COMPANYNAME=\"ABC Corp\""

Thank you very much. Do I understand it right, that I can handover any Property that is defined in my InstallShield project with the following command line syntax?

MySetup.exe /v"PROPERTY1=text PROPERTY2=text PROPERTY3=text"

or do I need to put the text in quotes, like

MySetup.exe /v"PROPERTY1=\"text\"PROPERTY2=\"text\" PROPERTY3=\"text\""

Thank you very much. How can I find more information in google? How would call what i try to do?

BR
Jürgen
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If a path contains spaces, you need to use the internal quotes with the backslash. The note near the top of the following help topic shows an example:
Setup.exe and Update.exe Command-Line Parameters

Searching the Support Web site (http://kb.acresso.com) (or even the local help that is installed with InstallShield) for "Setup.exe command line" returns this help topic as a search result.
0 Kudos