cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roger_hurst
Level 5

how to set component install destination at runtime

Hi:
Some time ago (2006) a question was answered on "how to set component install destination at runtime" as:

"1. create a directory without any name say "New Folder 1"
2. go to custom actions view, right click and select "New Set Directory" custom action say "NewCustomAction1"
3. In the custom action property of the above custom action select "Directory Name" and select the folder "New Folder1" and in the "Directory Value" give any property say "[DYNAMIC_INSTALL_LOCATION]"
4. as you said, use a custom action to query some registry entry of a third party component on the machine and if it is there assign the required value to the above property."

I'm very new to installshield and would appreciate some coaching as to how to set the "required value to the above property."
MsiSetProperty()? If yes, can you state how to include the typedef for MSIHANDLE...seems you need msiquery.h, but the compiler needs expanded search path to find the ".h", I need to know how to set that up.

Also, how is handle parameter (hInstall) to MsiProperty() set? Can ISMSI_HANDLE be used? This is a basic MSI project type.

Lastly, where to you set the property value (ie, the call to MSISetProperty), OnBegin()?

I would really appreciate this information..It's pretty important. Thanks, Roger
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KathyMorey
Level 10

You can find the value and set the property from the System Search view. This view sets up entries in the AppSearch table (and the tables AppSearch uses).
0 Kudos