cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ayyapunaresh
Level 3

Change public property value in execution sequence

Hi,

I am working on Basic MSI project. I have a question about changing property value in execution sequence.

Can we change value of a public property in execution sequence?

Can we access value of public properties in execution sequence?

Regards
Naresh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
thepeter
Level 7

this InstallShield Tip might help you: Accessing the MSI Database at Run Time
0 Kudos
ayyapunaresh
Level 3

Thanks for your response and good link.
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

You will find the Documentation Center very useful!
0 Kudos
TheResearch
Level 6

Hi Peter,

That's really a good link. This references would help many.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
VJ
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

Hi,
I have created a property MYPROP.I want to know if i will be able to modify it from command line.I found out that only public properties can be changed from command line.How can i distinguish if the property created is public or private.

Amitha
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Public properties contain all uppercase letters. A private property has at least one lowercase letter. For more details, see Working with Windows Installer Properties.
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

thanks for the response.I have a property called "ISINTALLATIONCORPORATE" whose value i use in one of the functions in my script.Now i want to set it from command line instead of opening it in orca.I use the command

msiexec /i "abc.msi" ISINTALLATIONCORPORATE="value"

Am i doing something wrong here.
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

hi,
i got it working,but the new requirement is that it should not install but only modify the property.Is there a way to do this.They want to modify property by using command line and not through orca.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Command line options only work during the current install, so that won't do what it sounds like you want. Are you trying to change the msi for future installs? If so, you might want to look into transforms.
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

hi,
my requirement is to make 2 msi every time i build my nant script.During my continous build,i need to create 1 msi with a property set to value 1 and second msi with value 2.

Amitha
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Are you using ISCmdBld.exe to build from the command line? If so, you can use the -z parameter to set the value of your property when you build the release. For more info, see ISCmdBld.exe.
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

Hi,
I think this was a good option.But i have Installshield 12 and so i dont have the -z option from command line.Any other option?

Thanks
Amitha
0 Kudos