cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jstatham
Level 4

SQL Server 2012 to 2019 upgrade help

I have a product that is currently running SQL Express 2012 with approx. 2500 users.  I am in the process of upgrading sqlexpress 2012 to 2019 and looking for help/suggestions on how to make it work.  Here are the 2 different scenarios.

1. Product is currently installed and my 2012 instance exists.  I then need to pass the upgrade parameter to the sqlexpress install and upgrade to 2019.  I hope to do this with a prerequisite.

2. Product not installed and need to load sqlexpress 2019 fresh with my instance name.

I guess what I am asking is there a 2019 SQL Express Prerequisite available anywhere?  If so can I use the same Prerequisite for both scenarios or do I need to create 2 different one.  Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @jstatham ,

I dont think you could achieve both upgrade & fresh installation scenario via Pre-requisite path.Hence it can be primarily used for installation based on various conditions.Here is what you can do:

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

I don't need to uninstall if 2012 exists. i just need to pass a different command line parameter to the sqlserver setup. Do you know if there is a prerequisite for sqlexpress 2019 that I can download.
0 Kudos

Hi @jstatham ,

InstallShield 2020 has SQL Server 2019 Express LocalDB pre-requisite integrated with it.Which version of InstallShield you are using?If you have previous version,you can edit the .prq  of SQL Server Express 2016/2017 to have updated msi file to be run and registry detection condition to get that working.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

I am running install shield 2020.  I need a prerequisite for SQL Express 2019. I don't see anything higher than Express 14 in the Prerequisites i have downloaded. Anything you can send me that will help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hi @jstatham ,

Can you check in [PROGRAMFILES]InstallShield\2020\SetupPrerequisites folder for SQL Server 2019 express LocalDB.prq file?Else please check the attached one,rename it to .prq(File extension limitation in community for .prq format)

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

I have that but I need a Prerequisite for full blown SQL EXPRESS 2019.

0 Kudos

Any update?

0 Kudos

Hi @jstatham ,

Going further editing/creating pre-requisite,you can try doing yourself.

Steps to follow:

• Create prq from any template of SQL Express pre-requisite
  • Edit the install registry condition which you could easily find online
  • Update the physical exe if you could download & keep into folder else download-able link
  • Important thing would be command-line parameters,that too i had already shared a link which Microsoft updates periodically on every release.Sample Install command line for SQL Server 2019 would be:

setup.exe /Q /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ACTION="install" /PID="AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE" /FEATURES=SQL,AS,IS,Tools /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSVCACCOUNT="MyDomain\MyAccount" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="************" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="MyDomain\MyAccount " /AGTSVCACCOUNT="MyDomain\MyAccount" /AGTSVCPASSWORD="************" /ASSVCACCOUNT="MyDomain\MyAccount" /ASSVCPASSWORD="************" /ISSVCAccount="MyDomain\MyAccount" /ISSVCPASSWORD="************" /ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS="MyDomain\MyAccount"

Reference link:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/install-sql-server-from-the-command-prompt?view=sql-server-ver15

I am attaching SQL Server 2019 Express for your reference,please consider this as template going further

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos