cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iron_giant
Level 3

Length limition for Product Name in 2008

Hi,
I updated the Product Name to "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP", however only ABCDEFGHI show up on the ProdcutName of Setup.exe properties.dialog. The file name is truncated. Is this a 2008 bug? No issue with Installshield 12 version.

Anyway to fix this? Is there a hotfix?

Thanks
iron_giant
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

FileDescription and LegalCopyright will be also be truncated.
0 Kudos
fred_t_hamster
Level 2

We recently converted from installshield 12 also. What we are finding is that (as mentioned above) the Product Name, Product Version and File Version are all being truncated.
It's not something simple like a length limit either, unless they all have independent limits. Our Product Version is getting truncated to "5.5." (4 characters) when it should say "5.5.89.1283", for example. Our long File Version appears as "5.5.89.128" rather than "5.5.89.1283". Our Product Name gets truncated from (e.g.) "VWXYZ Desktop Installer" to just "VWXYZ Desktop" instead.
We have verified that all of these things look perfect in the ISM file, but somehow are garbled when the setup exe is generated.
This bug in installshield 2008 makes our product look very unprofessional and slipshod. It would be nice if they would fix this problem immediately, but I don't know how fast such bugs are addressed (if ever). We would also need a standalone build update, since that's how all our builds are created; we don't generate anything with the IDE itself anymore.
0 Kudos
MartinMarkevics
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

What project type are you using? I just tried it with a simple Basic MSI project and it seems to work fine.
0 Kudos
fred_t_hamster
Level 2

we have a basic msi project. actually, we have four, all of which are behaving the same way. they were all recently converted from is12. three of these installers were originally developed under is12, whereas the other was developed under is10. we use installscript in all of these (which means the older installer was basic msi + installscript at one point).
0 Kudos
MartinMarkevics
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

What OS are you building on? Also, do you have the SP installed (I don't know of anything in the SP that would have fixed this issue, just trying to get enough information so we can reproduce the issue here).
0 Kudos
MartinMarkevics
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

Just to avoid any confusion from my previous post, there has been no SP to this point for IS 2008 (was confusing this release with prrior releases).

Anyway, after further investigation, this is in fact an legit issue. We will provide a hotfix, which I will post it here once it's done.
0 Kudos
MartinMarkevics
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

A KB is in the works, but in the meantime I have attached the latest binaries that fix this issue. You will need to replace setup.exe and setupPreReq.exe on your local system with the ones attached to this message. These files are both located in the \Redist\Language Independent\i386 folder (typically something like C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\Redist\Language Independent\i386).

Once you replace those files, rebuild your setup and you should be good to go. If there are any problems, please let me know.
0 Kudos
iron_giant
Level 3

hi,

Thanks all for your info.

we just converted from installshield 12 to 2008 also. We are using Basic MSI [Windows] project (.ism file). No issue with installshield 12.

I am looking forword for the hotfix...so i can mark these installshield related bugs to "fixed" 😄
0 Kudos
iron_giant
Level 3

Martin,
Thanks for the fix. After I replaced two *.exe files, the Product name and version number are not truncated after rebuild.

😄
0 Kudos
iron_giant
Level 3

Martin,
Do you know when this fix will be released to installshield 2008 user?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

It's available here:
HOTFIX: Setup.exe File Version Information Being Truncated
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q113578
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
brucef
Level 2

I had the same problem - I had a project in IS Express 11.5 that was upgraded to InstallShield Express 2008 and we noticed the product version is now truncated to 4 characters. I downloaded the hotfix Stefan mentioned, and it looks like it works for Express as well (though the Hotfix doesn't mention it in the 'applies to' section).
0 Kudos