cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrInstall47
Level 3

InstallShield 2019 Premier Shortcuts

Jump to solution

After upgrading to InstallShield 2019 Premier, I am getting the following error on several of our MSI scripts:

ISDEV : error -9572: This package contains no shortcuts defined for the application. Applications are usually necessary to define the entry point into the MSIX/Appx app.

Some of our install scripts simply install 'embedded' application (for example, a GAC assembly) and have no need for shortcuts. How do you indicate that a shortcut is not needed?

- Paul -

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @MrInstall47 ,

Hope your issue got resolved by building MSI using MSI build button as per our prior discussion.If so please close this as resolved.

Could guess the cause by seeing the option in Releases->APPX/MSIX->Build Windows App Package been enabled to Yes.

For others benefit:

there are two build buttons in Basic MSI home ribbon as in snapshot.Build-Menu.PNG

• For MSI,use the  first build button
  • To build MSIX use the second build button which is inside MSIX group(one has mark) which will enable 

Releases->APPX/MSIX->Build Windows App Package->Yes by default.Meaning it will try to build MSIX from MSI,that was the cause for the shortcut error.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @MrInstall47,

The specific error:ISDEV : error -9572: This package contains no shortcuts defined for the application. Applications are usually necessary to define the entry point into the MSIX/Appx app  would be the outcome of  when you have enabled APPX/MSIX in Releases->Release->Build Windows App Package->yes in your 2018 Basic Msi project file.

To give more context for the reasons:

• Since it is mandatory to have one exe shortcut for MSIX to work,you will get this error.
  • Or If your Basic MSI project has files but not having shortcuts of exe file
  • Or those shortcut files referred are missing in the machine.

If possible can you please attach InstallShield project file as an attachment here.That could really help us resolving the issue

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Jenifer,

Are MSI installs gone for good, and everything is MSIX now?  If MSIX is all there is, then your first bullet item says a shortcut is mandatory which would be a dead end for anyone not needing a  shortcut.  I need to do some more reading on MSIX. Our customers still use Windows Server 2008,[R2].  Hopefully, the new format is backward compatible with these older operating systems.

I can provide a script for you.  Can you give me an email address so I am not posting the script in to the forum?  thank you.

- Paul -

0 Kudos
Hi MrInstall47, The error has effect only if you had opted for APPX/MSIX via Releases view in your previous project file as described here: https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/ReleaseGridWindowsAppTab.htm else it has to work perfectly fine for Basic MSI just like before. Please send me the details as private message with required attachments.Happy to help you! Thanks, Jenifer
0 Kudos
In case I didn't send it to the correct address before.

regards,

- Paul -

Paul Vestuto
DMAXX, LLC
Phone: 847 234-4969, ext 120
Direct: 847 423-6719
Email: Paul@DMAXX.COM

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 9:52 AM
To: Flexera Community
Subject: RE: InstallShield 2019 Premier Shortcuts (Community Subscription Update)

Jenifer,

Attached is one of the scripts that has the issue with no shortcuts. This particular script is a simple installer that is shelled from another package for installing SMO. The other installer is an older product that is not InstallShield, so bringing in SMO this way is simple and has worked for us for years.

regards,

- Paul -

Paul Vestuto
DMAXX, LLC
Phone: 847 234-4969, ext 120
Direct: 847 423-6719
Email: Paul@DMAXX.COM

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 9:40 AM
To: Paul Vestuto >
Subject: Re: InstallShield 2019 Premier Shortcuts (Community Subscription Update)

Hi MrInstall47,

Jenifer posted a new reply in InstallShield Forum on Apr 22, 2019 09:39 AM:

Hi MrInstall47, The error has effect only if you had opted for APPX/MSIX via Releases view in your previous project file as described here: https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/ReleaseGridWindowsAppTab.htm else it has to work perfectly fine for Basic MSI just like before. Please send me the details as private message with required attachments.Happy to help you! Thanks, Jenifer

Reply | Accept as Solution | Give Kudos

Community sent this message to paul@dmaxx.com.
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.
To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.
0 Kudos

Hi MrInstall47,

Please try sending private message with attachments.I couldn't see attachments.You can find easily how to send private message in Flexera community

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi @MrInstall47 ,

Hope your issue got resolved by building MSI using MSI build button as per our prior discussion.If so please close this as resolved.

Could guess the cause by seeing the option in Releases->APPX/MSIX->Build Windows App Package been enabled to Yes.

For others benefit:

there are two build buttons in Basic MSI home ribbon as in snapshot.Build-Menu.PNG

• For MSI,use the  first build button
  • To build MSIX use the second build button which is inside MSIX group(one has mark) which will enable 

Releases->APPX/MSIX->Build Windows App Package->Yes by default.Meaning it will try to build MSIX from MSI,that was the cause for the shortcut error.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator
Try deleting the release from your project and adding a new one. If you then build (not with the build MSIX button) the MSIX errors should be removed.