cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlMudryk
Pilgrim

Error -6003: An error occurred when streaming... when signing the MSI file

I have an issue that just started in the last few days. I have an standard MSI project that creates a setup.exe. As recently as last week I was able to have InstallShield 2012 sign both the MSI and the Setup.exe when I build the release. Now, whenever I try do so, I get the following errors:

ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\Users\CarlM\Work\Dev\pD CP\001 Generic\001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-Templates.isc' into setup.exe
ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\Users\CarlM\Work\Dev\pD CP\001 Generic\001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-Templates.msi' into setup.exe

As far as I'm aware, the build computer has not changed recently. It is running Windows 7 Professional SP1 and InstallShield 2012 Version 18 Service Pack 1.

I've checked the file permissions, and the login account has administrator privileges. I tried making a small test installer with a single file and get the same error. As soon as I set it to not sign the Windows Installer Package, then the error goes away. We have recently updated the code signing certificate, but have been using it okay for about 2 weeks. Not sure what's going on.

Thank in advance to anyone that can help.

Carl
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
smorton
Pilgrim

Security patches are probably the culprit

The same thing started happening to us about a week ago. I suspected a batch of Microsoft security patches and I just confirmed that by rebooting another build machine that had pending security patches. Sure enough, the problem appeared on that machine immediately. If you disable signing the MSI and just sign your setup.exe it will still work; that may be sufficient for your needs.

I have not found anything on line that would help to determine exactly which patch caused the issue or whether there is a fix in the works. I will post any information I find on this thread.

Simon
0 Kudos
CarlMudryk
Pilgrim

Re: Error -6003: An error occurred when streaming... when signing the MSI file

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected an OS update. If I find anything, I'll post it as well. We have decided to change to an MSI install for now, without the setup.exe. It seems to work, but now it's not recognizing the previous install, so instead of upgrading it, it installs a separate version of the app. One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
Carl
0 Kudos
smorton
Pilgrim

To be precise, the culprit was KB 2949927, which Microsoft has recalled/expired. If you uninstall it, then reboot and install any new patches, you should be good to go..

CarlMudryk wrote:
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected an OS update. If I find anything, I'll post it as well. We have decided to change to an MSI install for now, without the setup.exe. It seems to work, but now it's not recognizing the previous install, so instead of upgrading it, it installs a separate version of the app. One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
Carl
0 Kudos
CarlMudryk
Pilgrim

Hi Simon,
Thanks so much, that indeed work here.
Carl
0 Kudos

OS update the culprit and it worked for us.
0 Kudos
EricBonnet
Pilgrim

Hi,

I an error 6003 in mergin fiMSI file into the Setup.exe.

I have noticed that last week (after Windows Update), the last correct build was made the 10th of December.
I checked the KB file recently installed, none of them are indicated as "problematic"

Has someone a solution for this problem. I guesss this is a KB.. file problem from Microsoft.

Thank you for your help

Eric
0 Kudos
al_plexon_com
Flexera beginner

Windows update KB3004394 was the culprit

We started getting the 6003 error this week, also. After laboriously going through the 70 updates from last week 2/10/2015,
we found the culprit to be KB3004394 on our Windows 7 x64 build machine. Removed it and builds succeeded.

Good luck.

EricBonnet wrote:
Hi,

I an error 6003 in mergin fiMSI file into the Setup.exe.

I have noticed that last week (after Windows Update), the last correct build was made the 10th of December.
I checked the KB file recently installed, none of them are indicated as "problematic"

Has someone a solution for this problem. I guesss this is a KB.. file problem from Microsoft.

Thank you for your help

Eric

for us
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Vlad_V
Pilgrim

Error - 6003

Same error was after last Windows OS update: after removing the optional KB 3004394 update, the error was gone.
0 Kudos
HookEm
Flexera beginner

Error -6003 streaming ...\MyProject Data\Interm\MSIEng.isc into setup.exe

Similar problem for me just cropped up. Same error number but my message was:
"ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming '{project_output_path}\MyProject Data\Interm\MSIEng.isc' into setup.exe"

Uninstalling Microsoft update KB 3004394 also resolved the issue for me.

Some notable differences specific to my issue:

• I'm using InstallShield 2010 SP1
  • Basic MSI project with external setup.exe and external CAB files
  • 1 CAB per Feature option enabled

I think someone from InstallShield needs to update the general Error 6003 page to let people know about this as it took me a couple of days to figure it out. :mad:
0 Kudos