cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlMudryk
Level 3

Error -6003: An error occurred when streaming... when signing the MSI file

I have an issue that just started in the last few days. I have an standard MSI project that creates a setup.exe. As recently as last week I was able to have InstallShield 2012 sign both the MSI and the Setup.exe when I build the release. Now, whenever I try do so, I get the following errors:

ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\Users\CarlM\Work\Dev\pD CP\001 Generic\001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-Templates.isc' into setup.exe
ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\Users\CarlM\Work\Dev\pD CP\001 Generic\001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-Templates.msi' into setup.exe

As far as I'm aware, the build computer has not changed recently. It is running Windows 7 Professional SP1 and InstallShield 2012 Version 18 Service Pack 1.

I've checked the file permissions, and the login account has administrator privileges. I tried making a small test installer with a single file and get the same error. As soon as I set it to not sign the Windows Installer Package, then the error goes away. We have recently updated the code signing certificate, but have been using it okay for about 2 weeks. Not sure what's going on.

Thank in advance to anyone that can help.

Carl
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(20) Replies
smorton
Level 3

The same thing started happening to us about a week ago. I suspected a batch of Microsoft security patches and I just confirmed that by rebooting another build machine that had pending security patches. Sure enough, the problem appeared on that machine immediately. If you disable signing the MSI and just sign your setup.exe it will still work; that may be sufficient for your needs.

I have not found anything on line that would help to determine exactly which patch caused the issue or whether there is a fix in the works. I will post any information I find on this thread.

Simon
0 Kudos
CarlMudryk
Level 3

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected an OS update. If I find anything, I'll post it as well. We have decided to change to an MSI install for now, without the setup.exe. It seems to work, but now it's not recognizing the previous install, so instead of upgrading it, it installs a separate version of the app. One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
Carl
0 Kudos
smorton
Level 3

To be precise, the culprit was KB 2949927, which Microsoft has recalled/expired. If you uninstall it, then reboot and install any new patches, you should be good to go..

CarlMudryk wrote:
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected an OS update. If I find anything, I'll post it as well. We have decided to change to an MSI install for now, without the setup.exe. It seems to work, but now it's not recognizing the previous install, so instead of upgrading it, it installs a separate version of the app. One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
Carl
0 Kudos
CarlMudryk
Level 3

Hi Simon,
Thanks so much, that indeed work here.
Carl
0 Kudos
prabhubhaskar
Level 2

OS update the culprit and it worked for us.
0 Kudos
EricBonnet
Level 2

Hi,

I an error 6003 in mergin fiMSI file into the Setup.exe.

I have noticed that last week (after Windows Update), the last correct build was made the 10th of December.
I checked the KB file recently installed, none of them are indicated as "problematic"

Has someone a solution for this problem. I guesss this is a KB.. file problem from Microsoft.

Thank you for your help

Eric
0 Kudos
al_plexon_com
Level 2

We started getting the 6003 error this week, also. After laboriously going through the 70 updates from last week 2/10/2015,
we found the culprit to be KB3004394 on our Windows 7 x64 build machine. Removed it and builds succeeded.

Good luck.

EricBonnet wrote:
Hi,

I an error 6003 in mergin fiMSI file into the Setup.exe.

I have noticed that last week (after Windows Update), the last correct build was made the 10th of December.
I checked the KB file recently installed, none of them are indicated as "problematic"

Has someone a solution for this problem. I guesss this is a KB.. file problem from Microsoft.

Thank you for your help

Eric

for us
0 Kudos
Vlad_V
Level 3

Same error was after last Windows OS update: after removing the optional KB 3004394 update, the error was gone.
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

Similar problem for me just cropped up. Same error number but my message was:
"ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming '{project_output_path}\MyProject Data\Interm\MSIEng.isc' into setup.exe"

Uninstalling Microsoft update KB 3004394 also resolved the issue for me.

Some notable differences specific to my issue:

• I'm using InstallShield 2010 SP1
  • Basic MSI project with external setup.exe and external CAB files
  • 1 CAB per Feature option enabled

I think someone from InstallShield needs to update the general Error 6003 page to let people know about this as it took me a couple of days to figure it out. :mad:
0 Kudos
Vlad_V
Level 3

Newly released security update today KB 3033929 caused same issue until it was removed.
0 Kudos
TimoZimmermann
Level 5

IS2014 seems not to have any problems with the security updates. Will there be a fix for IS2012 or is the only solution not to install the Windows updates?
0 Kudos
Vlad_V
Level 3

Each new release of Windows Updates is a gambling and installation should be selective with thorough testing of IS2010/IS2012. It's very possible that one of the security Updates can brake IS with re-appearance of same error -6003.
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

I updated my dev box to a new machine, also running 64-bit Windows 7 and with IS 2010 (SP1 w/ Hotfix 52410) installed and after running all the Windows Updates it put update KB 3033929 on the system and I got the same error (6003: "An error occurred streaming '\MSIEng.isc' into setup.exe" again.

So, I can confirm both KB 3033929 and KB 3004394 have this problem. My system doesn't have KB 2949927 installed so I can't attest to that one causing the problem (but have no doubt that it does and will keep an eye out for it).

Again, removing the KB and rebooting the system fixes the issue.

I REALLY wish InstallShield would update the error 6003 page with this information. 😞
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

I just got back from vacation and my dev box is throwing the error again [64-bit Windows 7 and with IS 2010 (SP1 w/ Hotfix 52410) installed]. Sure enough, 50 new updates were applied by IT while I was gone. Unfortunately, I don't see any of the previously mentioned KB updates (KB 3033929 or KB 3004394 or KB 2949927) applied on my system so this must be a new one. Anyone know which one it is so I can save myself some time?
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

In case anyone else is tracking this issue...

The latest KB that breaks IS 2010 is KB 3040272. Uninstalling that KB restored my ability to build projects using IS 2010.

After comparing the files updated by the four MS hotfixes that are causing these issues, the four files below are common to all the updates (in System32 and SysWow64). The file versions listed are the versions of the files after I uninstall the updates (last known working version). I don't know for a fact that the updating of these files is what is breaking IS 2010 (this is just a guess).

• crypt32.dll (6.1.7601.18277)
  • cryptnet.dll (6.1.7601.18205)
  • cryptsvc.dll (6.1.7601.18205)
  • wintrust.dll (6.1.7601.18205)

0 Kudos
TimoZimmermann
Level 5

HookEm wrote:
In case anyone else is tracking this issue...

The latest KB that breaks IS 2010 is KB 3040272. Uninstalling that KB restored my ability to build projects using IS 2010.

After comparing the files updated by the four MS hotfixes that are causing these issues, the four files below are common to all the updates (in System32 and SysWow64). The file versions listed are the versions of the files after I uninstall the updates (last known working version). I don't know for a fact that the updating of these files is what is breaking IS 2010 (this is just a guess).

• crypt32.dll (6.1.7601.18277)
  • cryptnet.dll (6.1.7601.18205)
  • cryptsvc.dll (6.1.7601.18205)
  • wintrust.dll (6.1.7601.18205)

I can confirm that these updates breaks also IS2012
0 Kudos
lavocat
Level 2

KB3172605 Date Published: 7/21/2016
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

I've tried this on my dev box (Win7 x64) and it seems to be working so far: Copy the last known good version of the problem DLLs (see my previous post) to the "System" folder located under the InstallShield 2010 installation location (ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2010\System"). This loads the libraries "side-by-side" in the local InstallShield 2010 install path and seems to be working for me (even after applying the MS KBs known to cause the issue).
0 Kudos
lavocat
Level 2

HookEm wrote:
I've tried this on my dev box (Win7 x64) and it seems to be working so far: Copy the last known good version of the problem DLLs (see my previous post) to the "System" folder located under the InstallShield 2010 installation location (ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2010\System"). This loads the libraries "side-by-side" in the local InstallShield 2010 install path and seems to be working for me (even after applying the MS KBs known to cause the issue).

Unfortunately, the trick that uses side by side old dll version does not work with InstallShield 2008.

Here are all Windows Updates I have removed to enable MSI signing by InstallShield (error 6003):
KB3033929
KB3004394
KB3040272
KB3172605
KB4015549
KB4012215

That works for me :rolleyes:

You can easily uninstall any KB using this command:
wusa /uninstall /kb:4012215
0 Kudos
bestellen
Level 4

Will there be a fix for IS2012 or is the only solution not to install the Windows updates?
0 Kudos