cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Can I set a Registry Key (Branch) from a Property Value?

I have multiple version releases in one ISM file, each with its own version number.

Each version stores its registry in a version key (branch/folder) like this:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Company/ProductName/10.0
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Company/ProductName/11.0
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Company/ProductName/12.0
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Company/ProductName/13.0
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Company/ProductName/14.0
  • etc.

Each version has the same elements. I currently have a separate Component with the registry settings for each version, which is a hassle to keep in synch when changes occur.

Can I have one registry component and designate the version key as a property that's assigned for each release? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi DataAnalyzer,

Yes,you can.For example, if you would like to store the destination location of your software, create a registry value whose data is [INSTALLDIR].

Please refer this link:http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield23helplib/helplibrary/FAQRegistryWritingProps.htm

Thanks,

0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Jenifer wrote:
Hi DataAnalyzer,

Yes,you can.For example, if you would like to store the destination location of your software, create a registry value whose data is [INSTALLDIR].

Please refer this link:http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield23helplib/helplibrary/FAQRegistryWritingProps.htm

Thanks,

Thanks Jenifer. I may have confused you with my request. I'm not seeking to save a property value in the registry. I have that working.

I want to change the KEY name and make that dependent on a property value. Rather than having a bunch of components with registry settings for different keys, I'd like to have something like this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Company/ProductName/[RELEASE_VERSION]

where each release can set its RELEASE_VERSION value. Is that possible?
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Have you tried setting the key name to [RELEASE_VERSION] ?
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Stefan Krueger wrote:
Have you tried setting the key name to [RELEASE_VERSION] ?

I haven't tried that. If that works, that'd be wonderful. Thanks!
0 Kudos