cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Can I create a 32 and 64 bit setup program in one EXE?

From our InstallScript we can tell if the O/S is 32 or 64 bit. Our setup program can contain both the 32 and 64 bit components and we can turn off the 64 bit features in a 32 bit environment and vice versa.

However, when we make a build including both versions in one EXE, it makes the EXE and warns that we don't have the 64 bit flag for the template specified. We don't want to specify it because we still need the setup to run in a 32 bit environment.

Since we make sure the 64 bit components are only installed in a 64 bit environment, it seems we wouldn't need to specify the template summary to enforce that. However, we're not sure if that's required for other settings/registries to install the 64 bit components (which do have their 64 bit component propoerty set to Yes).

Please confirm that our setup will work on 64 bit environments to install our 64 bit components properly if the 64 bit status is only set at the component level and not the release level. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
girishkatti123
Level 7

Hi,
We can include both 32bit and 64bit files in a single installer. The best way is have 2 sepearte features for 32bit and 64 bit and add the respective components to respective 32/64 bit features.

You can use SYSINFO.bIsWow64 to check for 32/64 bit OS. After you getting the OS type use FeatureSetTarget function to install the sepcific feature.

Or

You can have seperate release for 32bit and 64bit.

Hope this might help you solve your problem.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thank you for the confirmation.

I was confused by the build error -5008, "Intel64 or AMD64 must be specified in the template of the Summary Stream"

Glad to know that I can ignore it if I take care of the 32 vs. 64 selection myself.

This saves a lot of hassles!
0 Kudos
IS-11guy
Level 2

I am trying to do the same thing. Im looking to find out how you implement the SYSINFO.bIsWow64 in IS2011. Is there a sample script repository somewhere?

girishkatti123 wrote:
Hi,
We can include both 32bit and 64bit files in a single installer. The best way is have 2 sepearte features for 32bit and 64 bit and add the respective components to respective 32/64 bit features.

You can use SYSINFO.bIsWow64 to check for 32/64 bit OS. After you getting the OS type use FeatureSetTarget function to install the sepcific feature.

Or

0 Kudos
bigoldsofty
Level 4

Mine has a slight variation. All the files I'm installing are 32bit but SQL express has to be installed as 32 or 64bit depending on the system and in the of Server 2008 IIS needs to set to 32bit compatible mode.
I've created the 3 features. Now how can I be sure that the common files will always install and the correct version SQL Express will be installed and also the IIS mode will be set if the system is 64bit?
The reading I have done so far has only been confusing. I can't understand why relatively straight forward things have to be made so complex.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

girishkatti123 wrote:
Hi,

Or

I have a single Basic MSI project that contains files for both a 32-bit and 64-bit install. I created 3 features and am using Release Flags on two of those to differentiate 32 from 64 when I build the install. The third feature contains common files (like Help files, Release Notes) and I read to not specify a release flag for it. I can build the 32-bit install just fine with the Template Summary set to ;1033 but when I try to build the 64-bit version I get build error -5008, "Intel64 or AMD64 must be specified in the template of the Summary Stream".

Why isn't Release Flags taking care of this? I don't want to have to update Template Summary every time I have to build an install.

Thanks for any and all assistance!
0 Kudos