cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
209software
Level 3

Another version is installed

I saw other threads here, but the help didn't help.
Maybe I just need to know the NORMAL way to do an installer such that the OLD version is removed and the NEW version is installed.
The posts I saw here seemed to say that changing the Version number would work, but no dice.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You need to create a major upgrade in order to remove an OLD version and install a NEW version of your product. Please see Upgrade Considerations for more information on creating upgrades.
0 Kudos
209software
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
You need to create a major upgrade in order to remove an OLD version and install a NEW version of your product. Please see Upgrade Considerations for more information on creating upgrades.

Sorry, that is not an answer, it's a manual. I am not looking to get a degree in Installshield, I just want a simple answer to my question. I read that page, and many others linked to it, but it requires foreknowledge of terms I don't understand.

What I want is simple.

Recognize my software (that it's the same package)
Replace it.

I never want to see the "Already Installed" message. No one on the planet wants that.

So I figure there is some switch somewhere that I have to change to make this happen.

I do not want a 25 day course where I determine what a "component" is and whether I added one. I want to recompile and test my project, build a new installer, and have my users update it. Easy. Or it should be.
0 Kudos
209software
Level 3

Since changing the Product Version was no help, I regenerated the Product Code. Now instead of whining about the program already being installed, it just installs a second one alongside.

Maybe next time I'll try changing the UPGRADE Code.
0 Kudos