cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMs Inventory Gaps from vCenters

Hello,

I don't know how to explain this, so I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I have been reviewing the the report "VMs Inventory Gaps from vCenters". To my surprise, It is showing a fair amount of VMs that are not inventoried (Inventoried = No). When I have approached my server team, the VMs in question no longer exist and were deleted from the VMware environment many months ago.

If the VM no longer exists in VMware, how is this still being identified in this report? I'm at a complete loss.

Thanks

(5) Replies
tjohnson1
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

You will want to check the inventory dates of your vCenters/hosts. The host/guest relationship comes from the host not the VM. If the Host inventory is out of date, it can contain data about VMs that are no longer in the environment. If we do not have inventory for those VMs then they appear in the report as a gap with Inventoried=No

Thanks for the reply. Fully understand what you've said. Your suggestion is something that I already checked. All vCenter Servers & VMware hosts have been inventoried today, as they do every day. This is why I can't fathom out what's going on. 

Thanks

That would indicate that the VMs still exist under the host.

If you stop the upload tasks on your beacon (Windows Task Scheduler), run the VMware rule from the Beacon UI, wait for the rule to complete, and then open the VMware NDI for the host of the VMs (%ProgramData%\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories) you will see references to every VM running under the host. After you obtain the NDI, you can restart the upload tasks.

If you do not see the VMs listed in the NDI of the hosts, please open a support case with those details so that this can be further investigated.

That's exactly what I thought, but you know what it's like when other are adamant they aren't! Thanks for the advice much appreciate. Will give this a try. Thank you

Got the NDI file for the host that these VMs are appearing on, and none of the VMs in question show in this NDI file at all. Will log a ticket. Thanks