cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set of three documented reports (Attached Word doc containing SQL code for creating the reports) that cover the detailed Oracle licenses consumption including Optimization guidance, an Oracle License Optimization Summary on Clusters report and a Target Optimized Virtualized Architecture for Oracle report. two reports analyse vCenter soft partitioning impact versus Cluster level soft partitioning.

• Owner: Nicolas Rousseau
  • Solution Type: SQL Report
  • Flexera Product & Version:  FNMS 2016-2019
  • Environment: On-Premise Only
  • Resourcing Days: 1 Day
  • Disclaimer:

SOLUTIONS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS. NEITHER FLEXERA NOR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT. LICENSEE MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, WILL BE LIMITED TO THE SHORTER OF (I) THE STATUTORILY REQUIRED PERIOD OR (II) THIRTY (30) DAYS FROM LICENSEE’S ACCEPTANCE OF THE AGREEMENT.

Business Need

“Am I compliant on Oracle products?” is the very first one of a long series of questions that are worth asking for this expensive and complex Publisher

• Am I using my VMWare virtualization an optimal way given the tough Oracle Licensing?
  • If I was counting soft partitioning up top the vCenter, how much cost would it be? What is my risk if Oracle demands it one day?
  • Are my Oracle options consistently deployed across clusters? What would be my optimized target architecture?
  • How is my Oracle inventory going, do I have issues or patterns that I could identify to make my inventory quality better?

These million dollars questions are hard to answer and require complex deep dive in data crunching and analysis…

The reports below provide a straightforward answer to these questions, mixing better visibility on license consumptions, sharp financial analysis on possibility to optimize the virtualized architecture or inventory data quality

Goal of the views and approach

Cluster Level soft partitioning

Oracle Licenses Consumptions and Optimizations (NR)

Description

The view contains the following:

• The hierarchical structure of consumption, servers by server, license by license, like displayed in the consumption tab of the licenses’ details, adding the vCenter level. (vCenter/Cluster/VM Host/VM). The “Click on the column to re-establish hierarchies” column allows to reset the report’s hierarchy
  • The list of covered oracle instances
  • The list of covered applications (practical when multiple versions or edition of Oracle (or SQL server) are installed
  • A license cost per server in Licenses as well as a Waste/ Optimization column that compares the number of Cores of the VM Hosts that have to be licensed a consumption to the sum of installed VMs Cores on ESX hosts
  • Everything to tell the story: number of cores, processors, core factor, licensable cores (or processors), version of the vCenter…

The list of columns is provided in appendix 1.

Preview

Server consumptions are displayed in a hierarchical way, optimizations are suggested (here, better use of VMWare virtualization)

Installed applications covered by the license and Oracle instances are reported

OracleCsoOptim.png

Oracle License Optimization Summary (NR)

Description

This view pivots all wastes or optimizations values at ESX “root node” level, that can be the Cluster or VM Host level depending on installed architectures.

Preview

Pivoted view

ClusterWaste.png

Flat View

ClusterOptimizationFlatView.png

Oracle Options Virtualization Target Architecture (NR)

Description

This view will identify all installed and used options on VMs (where we have the host / cluster information) and will suggest a target virtualization architecture, consisting in gathering all VMs with coherent installed AND used options (for instance, all VMs installed with Tuning Packs, Diagnostic Pack and Advanced Compression) on the same cluster, with a number of cores corresponding to the sum of number of cores of installed VMs.

If your company is not in a ULA (or has deployed Options not in a ULA), the savings are counted in USD millions.

This recommendation applies for VMWare 5.0 version where soft partitioning is applied at cluster level.

Preview

OptionsTargetArchitecture.png

vCenter Level Reporting

Oracle Cso and Optim Details at vCenter Level (NR)

Description

This view has the same logic as the Oracle Server Consumptions and Optimization (NR) one, and provides the vCenter soft partitioning rules…

It shows consumptions for all ESX servers that belong to clusters outside of the installed applications measured in Oracle Processor metric, but in the same vCenter.

This report shows

• The Cluster level soft partitioning consumptions
  • The vCenter level additional consumptions (The ESX that would not consume in the cluster soft partitioning are flagged with IsAddedForvCenterLevelConsumption = Yes)
  • The total consumption that is the sum of both
  • The total additional cost of licensing at vCenter level instead of Cluster level (the “Cost of vCenter Rule For License” column)
  • The “Click on the column to re-establish hierarchies” column allows to reset the report’s hierarchy

Preview

vCenterCso.png

Oracle Licenses Consumptions at vCenter Level (NR)

Description

This report shows the flat list of Oracle licenses, with

• Purchases
  • Consumptions (considering cluster level soft partitioning)
  • The additional consumptions due to vCenter soft partitioning licensing
  • The total consumptions
  • The financial impact of vCenter soft partitioning versus Cluster

Preview

vCenterSummary.png

All vCenters Level Reporting

Oracle Licenses Consumption Summary at all Levels (NR)AllLevelOptimizationSummary.png

Oracle Licenses Detailed Consumptions at all Levels (NR)

AllLevelsDetailedConsumptions.png

Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎Jun 23, 2021 09:23 AM
Updated by: