cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UltraEdit / UltraCompare Bundle

We purchased (40) UltraEdit v26.10 / UltraCompare v18.10 Bundles each title with it's own key. What is the best practice for licensing/tracking bundles? Do I need to separate that purchase into individual applications (I'm thinking no, since its one PO#). Do I create a "new application" as a suite with members being each of the titles? Do I just create the Bundle license and choose both the apps as applications covered (but that wouldn't be true reflection of quantities consumed). How are others doing it? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

(1) Solution

This depends on how you want FNMS to consume against the entitlement.

If you only want to consume against your bundle license when BOTH products are installed on a license.  In this case, the best practice would be to create a "suite" in your local ARL where both products must be installed to be considered as a suite.  When only a single product is installed, then it would not consume against the bundle.

If you want to consume against the bundle license when 1 or both products are installed, then you can create a bundled license with both products defined on the Application tab of the license.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

This depends on how you want FNMS to consume against the entitlement.

If you only want to consume against your bundle license when BOTH products are installed on a license.  In this case, the best practice would be to create a "suite" in your local ARL where both products must be installed to be considered as a suite.  When only a single product is installed, then it would not consume against the bundle.

If you want to consume against the bundle license when 1 or both products are installed, then you can create a bundled license with both products defined on the Application tab of the license.

Thank you! I guess I was hoping for a way to easily track how many of each product were used when following the 2nd scenario (below). For example, if the customer only wanted UltraCompare but not UltraEdit I would technically have an "available" UltraEdit. I guess it doesn't work that way. If they install one the license is consumed unless I configure as a suite using 1 or both installations consuming the license. 

"If you want to consume against the bundle license when 1 or both products are installed, then you can create a bundled license with both products defined on the Application tab of the license."

@kclausen  is correct about the bundle consuming a license when one or both of the applications are and when both applications are primary (which is the case for most bundle licenses) I've found the overriding reason to define a suite vs. a bundle is, if you need to manage the upgrade/downgrade versions of each application in the bundle separately (one can upgrade to version 2019 while the other can't) then you should create a bundle.  You can then set the upgrade/downgrade rights of each separately from the Use Rights tab of the license.
If however, you can only upgrade or downgrade the two apps together, then building as a suite in the ARL can be a simpler model to use.

That makes sense as well. Thank you!

You should double check the excact nature of your use rights in this bundle. If it allows you to use both applications independently, you might consider creating 2 independent licenses in FNMS.