cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHEL Server Licensing in the Cloud

I need to entitle VMs consuming Red Hat Enterprise Linux virtual instance pair licenses hosted in an AWS cloud. For such licenses, I use the Microsoft Server Processor license type so that I configure specific processor limits on the license record (consume 1 RHEL entitlement for two VMs).  Following reconciliation, the RHEL installations in AWS are not consuming from the virtual instance licenses. I believe this is a restriction/problem caused by my use of the Microsoft Server Processor license type. 

I'd be interested to know the correct practice for calculating license compliance based on this use case. My customer is using 2018R2. I read that there were some planned enhancements to address Red Hat licensing in 2019R1, but I can't find any reference to this in the Release Notes.

Help!

(4) Replies

@mikewhalley 

Have you tried to use the 'Every Processor equals 0.5 points' points rule instead?

I would suggest this approach as I also think it covers the AWS use case:

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Points rules are not available on the Microsoft Server Processor licensing model.

@mikewhalley 

You are correct, that rule is on the Processor Points license under the Identification tab.

Also on that license under Use Rights & Rules tab you can then mark the license to only consume for installations coming from AWS so that you can have separate licensing for On-Premises RHEL installs if needed.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

I use the Processor Points license type (with the points rule) to consume Red Hat VDC installations. It works perfectly for this use case.