cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB Found but not found in Oracle Instance Page

Hi all,

I'm going to describe a really worrying problem.

I have several server wher Oracle Database has been found, as you can see from the picture,

 

pslmdb01.PNG

but, when I go in Oracle Instance page, I cannot find it at all. How this is possible? Am I doing something wrong in the discovery?

empty oracle instance.PNG

 

Thanks you all

(9) Replies

strange, however Can you check the status of oracle discovery & inventory for this particular devices in All Discovered page, if its successfully and also the instances shown from this particular device? 

The data shown in the screenshots there suggests to me that you have gathered general software inventory data from this computer, but have not gathered specialized Oracle Database inventory which will give insight into the instances and options that are running. Does that sound like it may explain what you are seeing?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@lajanakiramThanks, In all Discovered device page the column Oracle is set to "no" but I was told to not trust so much that page, I posted the Oracle instance page result in the first message on the top.

@ChrisGThanks, sadly, I checked the rule used to retrieve this info and I see the Oracle DB is checked. Is there any chance that FNMS didn't see it?

Additionally, All target have been scanned using zero foot print strategy using FNMS rules, but I found a specific target where I've run the ndtrack manually (is an offline server) and also there we cannot see the instances. Does ndtrack.sh need any particular flag or option to enable Oracle Inventory?

thank you all

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Instead of filtering in a column, could you try using the "global" search filter in the upper right corner?

2020-10-27_11h47_28.png

Best regards,

Markward

Hi,

In inventory device page you have the edition for oracle database as unspecified. This is probably because the agent installed on the server can't do the correct audit of the oracle database

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/What-is-the-difference-between-Oracle-Database-Unknown-Component/ta-p/2279

You need to figure out why the agent is not correctly working on server.

You can check in 2 places for errors:

1. On server you can check tracker.log file and search for any error regarding oracle instance audit
  2. On application go to discovery and inventory -> All Discovered Devices -> Search for your server -> go to Status -> then oracle database inventory, search for any errors there.

Usually in this 2 places you will find the error.

I created for example a custom report with all unspecified installation and based on this I do the follow up with the DBA teams and try to fix the errors.

@mfranzsadly, same result

@adrian_ritz1thanks, I will check those 2 places. Can you also share how to build the custom report? So that I can track all Oracle unspecified edition.

That's how I created the custom report and field that I use, you can enhance it or remove fields as you wish, in my work I found this filed most relevant.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 163358.jpg

Screenshot 2020-10-27 163449.jpg

And here are the filters that I used during the report creation.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 163544.jpg

   

I also found this report useful, as on some servers you can have multiple oracle version installed and different edition, I found out that some time the DBA do a poor job when upgrading the oracle and don't remove the binaries, which lead to oracle consumption.

Thanks, that is ultra useful. No I found all of them, but I still do not know why and how to fix 😞

I'll try running the rule again to see if something changes