cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On trying to discovery and inventory vCenter we get error

During the inventory of a vmWare vCenter we get the following error.

The user looks to be well configured in the Beacon password manager.

Have you ever seen this?

2020-05-11 16:54:03,002 [.VirtualizationVisitor|rules-74] [INFO ] No inventory gathered for device '172.16.8.43' because discovery did not find the service on the device.

(1) Solution

Hi @marcog ,

If you receive certificate error, you can try and ignore this error and open the web page, you should receive a login window.

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

Hi,

Usually this error occurred when you try to audit the vCenter but the ports are closed on the vCenter.

To troubleshoot, go to beacon server, open the IE and type :

https://your vcenter/mob

you should receive a login window, there you can test your credential, after that you should see some information from vCenter.

or you can test the connection with powershell or telnet on port 443, I assume that vCenter run on this port, if it's running on other custom port you need to modify in FNMS under the discover and inventory task and add the custom port there. 

thanks, we will check. On trying /mob link we get certificate error but we cannot change the certificate for now. So how to overcome this?

Hi @marcog ,

If you receive certificate error, you can try and ignore this error and open the web page, you should receive a login window.

I wrongly hit "Accept as solution". Actually it is not possible to accept and continue during the automatic discovery and inventory of FNMS

Hi  @marcog ,

please try our "Discovery and Inventory Rule" setting, which works fine in all of our projects. This will run on each scan a extra discovery and do not rely on the "discovered inventory" data in FNMS. This settings solved a lot of issues for us in context of vCenter discovery. After run this rule on your beacon, please check the discovery.log and vminfrastructure.log in C:\ProgramData\FlexNetManager Suite\Compliance\Logging\InventoryRules"

Targets - Settings

2020-05-13 14_56_55-VW_SAM - VMware Workstation.png

Action Settings

Action - SettingsAction - Settings

Best,

Dennis

Hi @marcog ,

I just realized that there can be one more issue, can you please ping from your beacon server the vCenter?

Because FNMS use ping to discover the device, and then he try with ports to discover the vCenter, in case the ICMP protocol is disable in firewall, no ping, this operation will fail and it will return your error. 

I had the same issue, with some vCenters.

To solve this:

Enable ICMP in firewall.

If this is not possible, the things are a little more complicated. 

You have several options:

Disable the pingsweep in beacon registry https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#reference/FIB-Registry.html

This solution was proposed by Flexera in a case that I opened.

or in FNMS disable network scan, but then you will need to create your vCenter in discovered devices manually, correctly setting the virtualization options.

Or you can try with ESXTools to manually generate the inventory from beacon

Adrian Ritz