cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Beacons from Windows Server 2016 to 2019 on Premises 2020 R2

What is the best way to migrate to a new server. 

Should I Install the beacons on the new server  first?

Can I use the same beacon names?

Do I need to redeploy the agents with the new server information?

Should I copy these files to the new servers?

config.xml
schedule.xml
BusinessAdapter folder

(4) Replies

What is the best way to migrate to a new server. Should I Install the beacons on the new server  first?

I would create new Beacon servers, join them to FNMS and then retire the old ones.

Can I use the same beacon names?

I suppose you could, but if you do, you'd have to delete the existing entry before joining the new beacons to FNMS.  You also won't be able to have both up at the same time.

Do I need to redeploy the agents with the new server information?

No, the agents should get the revised Inventory Beacon list automatically.

Should I copy these files to the new servers?

config.xml
schedule.xml
BusinessAdapter folder

Not sure about the first two but as for the BusinessAdapter folder, I guess this depends on whether or not you have business adapters running on the older servers.

--Mark

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

There are generally two strategies for what you described:

1. Deploy the new Beacon. Give the inventory agents some days/weeks to "learn" about the new Beacon. They should update once a day, but some might not be active everyday or be off site with no network connection. Once most/all agents got the info, remove the old Beacon.
  2. Or deploy the new Beacon, remove the old Beacon and have it's DNS name point to the new Beacon IP address for a while. (Once agents had access to the new Beacon via this DNS alias, they know about the new Beacons actual name.)

You might still be left with some devices, which did not get the news. You will have to update their settings or just redeploy the agent on them.

Also, if you have set up Inventory Connections on a Beacon, you might want to look into these as well as accounts in the Beacon's Password Manager.