cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft DataCenter Server license calculation vs. Standard in FNMS

Here is what I'm seeing.

Windows Standard licenses show consumed based on processor, so 12 core, 2 processor consumes 16 license.

DataCenter license is different, a similar 12 core, 2 processor only consumes 1 license.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

(1) Solution

It certainly sounds like one license has a License Type of Microsoft Server Processor and the other has a License Type of Microsoft Server/Management Core.  Now, these may both be correct, depending on which licenses you actually pay for.

Take a look at the Purchase/s linked to the license and, if available, the SKU.  The SKU will certainly confirm which license type it is and if there is no SKU hopefully the purchase description makes it clear.

If you have a mixture of Processor and Core purchases for the same product please be sure to create seperate licenses in FNMS with the appropriate license type.

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
From what you have described, the Windows Server Std license is consuming based on cores not processors. If this is the case, the behaviour that you are seeing is correct as you will need to consume the 16 core min per host. The Datacenter license (I am assuming is also core based) should consume (x16) core licenses also. Have you configured the license type correctly? ie. Microsoft Server / Management Core license type and checked to the use rights and rules settings to ensure that the default value of (x16) core per host core limit has been applied?

It certainly sounds like one license has a License Type of Microsoft Server Processor and the other has a License Type of Microsoft Server/Management Core.  Now, these may both be correct, depending on which licenses you actually pay for.

Take a look at the Purchase/s linked to the license and, if available, the SKU.  The SKU will certainly confirm which license type it is and if there is no SKU hopefully the purchase description makes it clear.

If you have a mixture of Processor and Core purchases for the same product please be sure to create seperate licenses in FNMS with the appropriate license type.

That did it! I changed the license type to Microsoft Server/Management Core.

Thanks!

Greg, you got me going in the right direction!  Thanks.